Working with karma

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiron

Reaction score
When I got off work tonight and was walking to the bus stop, I got approached by a guy no older than maybe 20 asking very politely if I could spare some money. Apparently he didn't have a place to sleep tonight so he was gonna get on a 24 hour bus and sleep on it. (Which is what a lot of homeless people do around here) Well, I was not even 20 feet from my store and I had no change so I had him come along, bought him something to drink so I could get cash back. Gave him his drink along with $5 and said goodnight.

Now, he might have completely lied to me about why he needed the money but I don't really care. I've been in his position before and even though I never had the courage to ask people for money, I've been helped by so many strangers that my motto in life is, as said in the movie, "pay it forward". The question is, if the reason I gave him money is so that my karma stays good, was that actually an act of kindness or an act of selfishness to insure I have good karma? What do you think?

Sounds to me like you were being good because you're good, no to be good.

Don't know if anyone is familiar with Kholberg's stages (preconventional, conventional, and postconventional) Basically it goes from doing things because you'll get in trouble to doing things because that's what everyone is doing to doing things simply because they are moraly right. He says that only a small amount of people get to the postconventional stage. I think you're in postconventional.

edit for bad grammer

I think you did it because it feels good to help someone when they are down and out. No ones first thought is about how a kind act will affect their personal karma, that is an after thought. You are a good person and you helped someone out of the kindness of your heart

I think you did it to help the person and because it feels good to help people. Whenever I help a person I have this feeling of joy that I helped someone. That I made them happier. I think you helped him out of pure kindness and nothing else. :)

Latest posts

Back