Working at the SPCA?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiron

Reaction score
Back story : Errik decided to move us to Sacramento after all. He's going to try transferring as a management trainee instead of waiting till he's a full on manager. That means we move on March 1st. There's no point for me to look for a job just to be there for a couple weeks so I have volunteered to help out at a cat rescue inside Petsmart for the next month.

Anyways, I'm job hunting in the Sacramento area with the intent of starting in March. I'm looking at the Sacramento SPCA website and all their positions require a valid driver's license. Now what I don't understand is, why would a lowly kennel attendant need to be able to drive in order to properly do their job? Is it a real requirement or something they just list? Do I have no chance to work with them only because I have a fear of driving?

Just wondering if anyone knows. If it was a position where I would take the animals from point 1 to point 2 I would understand but there's nothing in the job description that would require me to go anywhere besides to and from work. Maybe they just want to make sure I have dependable transportation to and from work?

Are you sure they don't mean just as a for of ID/ proof that you're a California resident, perhaps.
Just a guess.

You could always call and ask.

Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Basic animal care knowledge. Preferred: knowledge of domestic animals including breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques.
2. Ability to read and comprehend instructions, short correspondence and memos.
3. Ability to write reports and correspondence.
4. Ability to effectively present information in one on one and small group situations to customers, clients and other employees of the organization.
5. Valid California Drivers license with a clear driving record for at least one year prior to application. Driving skills for both standard and automatic transmission vehicles.
6. Basic computer skills using standard office programs such as Word or similar programs.

....3 days later....

I think I've given it sufficient enough time to allow a bump dontcha think?

I volunteer for an SPCA, and I can tell you why =P

Whether you do kennels, deal with wildlife, or an officer, you are going to have to drive out and do some "errands".

Some of our receptionists had to drive out to neighbouring cities to pick up stuff from hospitals. The animal protection officers drive out to pet stores to buy food, bedding, toys, etc when there is none or supplies are limited. Sometimes you have to respond to emergency's, and obviously that requires driving out and attending to the animals. Dealing with the public/news out at different locations, transporting animals to events, or close to what I stated earlier.. If you notice something is wrong with the shelter animal, and you're the only one on duty [Ex. It's 6 am, they usually only have 1 or 2 people, or after the shelter closes] then you drive the animal out to an emergency hospital.

It's little things that like. I can't work there because I don't have my license. They have other reasons too... but I'm not quite to sure.

Boo. At least there's a lot more places to work in Sac than the SPCA then. Getting me to drive is not going to happen. Not even for a job.

That stinks that you would have to drive, I would think that they would want people who wanted tor eally work there no matter if they can drive or not.

I would call anyway and ask, I was thinking thatt sometimes they just have a standard of things that they list and since they hire drivers that is a qualification that a driver needs. It would hurt to call , who knows maybe you will find out that, that is only for the drivers.

Latest posts

Back