Wood for nesting box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosalie68

Reaction score
I was wondering which kind of wood to use to build a nest box. I'm sure my rabbits will chew it so I want to make sure I get some that's safe.

Thanks,

Kim

I am so very sorry no one answered this question sooner :(

I would personally suggest that you would build a nest box out of aspen. Rub it down with vegetable oil to seal the wood; this will stop bunny urine from going through to some degree.

NO pressure treated wood.... it's poisonous ;)

Sounds like an exciting project!

thank u so much. i thought maybe no one liked me lol. is pine and cedar ok too? i havent been to the store so im not quite sure what they have available.

LOL!
No not at all! I like you already :D
I think there were just a bunch of posts that bumped yours down the page very quickly.
If you ever don't get an answer within a day, just *bump* it back up to the top of the page:p.

I wouldn't go with cedar or pine. Softwoods (eg. pine, spruce, fir, cedar.. needleleaf) plus urine are a nasty combo, especially in an enclosed space (strong scent and release of phenols can be hard on the respiratory system). If bunny piddle were to accumulate in the box for some reason or another, it would be better for it to be a box made of a non-reactive hardwood.

(Hence, that is why pine and cedar shavings are not considered to be a good litter for rabbits in an area without excellent ventilation.)

Aspen, birch, poplar, willow, maple... I would go with any of those.

Have you made a post in the Rabbitry about your coming babies? I'm sure they'd love to hear all about them :)

oh, im not having babies. i meant like a hidey house or box or whatever. something for them to go in to sleep or to get away. the bunnies i have right now are 2 males and im going to get a female at the end of the week. they are about 7 months old and they are all altered. no babies for us. i just didnt know what to call the box thing. :eek:)

when i got my bunnies i bought one of those plastic igloos and they grew out of it so fast. then i used a cardboard diaper box and they chewed it right up lol. i figure wood will last me a little bit longer! its just going to be a top and sides and im hoping they dont pee on the top. maybe if i put some carpet up there they will leave it.

thanks so much for your help.

kim

NorthernAutumn wrote:
I am so very sorry no one answered this question sooner :(

I would personally suggest that you would build a nest box out of aspen. Rub it down with vegetable oil to seal the wood; this will stop bunny urine from going through to some degree.

NO pressure treated wood.... it's poisonous ;)

Sounds like an exciting project!
Thank you so much for this information. I am in the process of building a new hutch and the "seal with vegetable oil" trick is something I had not heard before -- and yet makes perfect sense!!!

Thank You!!

Latest posts

Back