Winston's Sore Hocks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOOOSKA

Reaction score
I noticed Winston sitting funny the other day, bum up in the air. I picked him up to check on him (this is not something that is easy to do as he hates to be picked up). Looking at his back feet i noticed red sores on the bottom.

He does not lay on any wiring (cage). He has little blankets in his cage and ply wood as the flooring. The run is carpeted.

I do have Bag Balm but unfortunately the best before date is 09/04/2008 just a little old. I've not seen it here, Haley sent me this back then. I assume I should not use it as it is quite old.

Also I was thinking of getting some of I think it's called Vetta bed (not sure though) but am not even sure where to pick that up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Susan

poor winston - im not sure what breed he is but this afflicts rexes too. i can also recommend vetbed:) it also came in useful when my dog had pups as it is very easy care. i use fleeces for lining too.

im sure you can get an equivalent of bag balm - my local farm suppliers has several versions ( tho' they tend to have the word 'udder' in the name and a picture of a happy cow:))

Sometimes carpeting can cause sore hocks, and long back nails too can change the way they sit on their feet, which can cause them too.

Thanks for the reply's I will look into ordering Vetbed. I really need to know if the out dated Bag Balm is still usable. Poor Winston all he does is lick his back legs. Can I use Neospoin or Polyspoin on his sores?

I bought him a little doggy bed on Monday which he loves but the little buggar pee's in it. So now i have to rig it up with a pillow case that has a plastic bag in it then on top of that a towel or i'd be washing the bed daily.

Susan:(

You can use neosporin or polysporin no problem. I wouldn't use the Bag Balm because it is almost 2 years out of date, that's pretty significant.

Here's a picture of my poor little Winston's back feet.

Any further suggestions? I bought him a little bed, he rests in it,but also pees in it so I've rigged it up with a pillow case that has plastic in it then I put a soft terry towel over that. I change the towel 2 - 3 times a day so he doesn't sit on the wet part of the towel.

DSC06830.jpg

My Bag Balm is outdated and I unfortunately can't find it in Canada.

Susan:(

Aw, poor Winston. I agree with Claire, the carpet is a likely culprit. Some fibers are irritating, they rub the hair off. And it does look like he's just missing hair, there's no infection or ulcers, really.

If you can try putting grass mats down or another type of carpet laid over top of the one you have, that may help in addition to the other suggestions.

I finally got rid of Mister's sore hocks after finding a couple of different types of 'rock' mats -- mats made from flat stones glued onto vinyl or netting. All the bunnies love them.

Who'd a thunk that rocks would be more comfy than a plush carpet, LOL!!

sas :goodluck:

Latest posts

Back