will not eat or move just sits and sleeps

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunarbunny

Reaction score
This is my first post here and I wish it was on a more positive topic. :(
I have an orange, female miniature Lop who is about 2.5 years old (not spayed).
She is usually very energetic and loves her pellets and hay. Last night I let her run around my room for a few hours. I always pick up wires and cords before I let her out. She was acting totally normal. The next morning I gave her a small handful of pellets which she usually swallows right up, but she didn't even give them a sniff. I let her into her pen (she stays in the cage at night) and she plopped down in the corner. Usually she can't wait to get out of her cage and carry her stuffed toy and run in circles, but she didn't even touch it.
I've gotten her to eat a few pellets, but she wont eat any hay. I checked her litter box for anything odd and everything looked normal excepted for one little poop that was shaped more like a bean and darker in color.
The only thing I can think of is that she ate a bit of plastic or a bead. my mother recently moved a canvas from behind a shelf that luna likes to sit under. I noticed some small plastic beads in the crack where the wall and floor meet behind the shelf. I also found a chewed up piece of plastic string.
I looked at her mouth and felt around her stomach for anything out of place, but everything looked fine.
I'm hoping whatever she may have eaten will pass through, but if her behavior continues we'll take her to the vet.

Any thoughts?

Is she drinking?
Hydration is very important.
I've had buns go a couple of days without eating (for one reason or another), but if they stop drinking I get more concerned.

I would plan on a vet visit if she hasn't improved within 48 hours (possibly sooner if she's not drinking).
They may have to do a xray to see if she actually did eat something that's causing a disruption if her GI tract.
They can also administer fluids via subQ to help her hydration.

Can you get a look at her teeth?
Is it possible she may have hurt her mouth/teeth on the plastic?

Try and encourage her to eat. Do you have any of her favourite veggies? Get some veggies, (preferably cilantro) soak them down and try and get her to eat some. You want to keep everything inside her, moving.
You can try and offer her a bowl of water with some apple juice added for taste. Or even pineapple juice which may help disolve any hairballs starting to form inside if her tummys not moving.
Vets will sell products like Acute Care paste or Florentero paste, or petco/petsmart may have BeneBac Paste. these products will help ease an upset tummy if that is the case.
But like Jim said she should go to the vet to figure out why this is happening. You need to curb the cause not just support the symptoms.

Thank you for all the tips! Very helpful. I brought a small bowl of water with apple juice, but she was more interested in the cilantro. i gave her a few carrot shavings also. she ate a few leaves and then went back to her corner.

i checked her mouth and didn't see anything abnormal though her mouth is quite small... difficult to see when she's pulling away. i can probably get my mom to hold her and i'll look again.
I will keep an eye on her and take her to the vet if she doesn't improve.
how much apple juice can i add to a cup of water btw?

i can't seem to get her to eat or drink anything (unless i feed her water via syringe).
also, she has been trying to use her box all day but nothing is passing through. constipation maybe?

She sounds like she has GI stasis if she's not pooping, that can be fatal for rabbits. Can you take her to a vet?

I hope she feels better soon, very glad you are taking her to the vet. It does sound like GI stasis. Keep encouraging water so she doesn't dehydrate. Let us know how she goes :)

I woke up this morning and check on Luna and it was like nothing ever happened. I've never been so happy to see a box full of poo! :p She also ate all of the hay I left in her cage and was as excited as ever to get out and run in her pen. I gave her a bit of cilantro which she practically inhaled.

I searched around her box for any abnormal droppings. some of then had more of a bean shape and majority of them are slightly smaller than usual. a few soft ones too.

Do you suppose that I still take her to the vet? She seems, for the most part, to be back to normal.

If everything seems back to normal, id hold off on the vet. Some bunnys dont transport well and the stress of being shoved into a carrier and carted off to the vet may cause issues if shes still in a delicate stage. However if she reverts back to not eating and being inactive. Its off to the vet!

Latest posts

Back