Will bunny b okay bunking with kitty

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perez28

Reaction score
Ok well if I do end up getting a bunny he or she would be staying on my room well I also have 2 cats and there litter box would have to stay in my room bunny will b outta reach of kittys but would smell of litterbox make bunny territorial for record I can't smell kitties litterbox but not sure if bunny can

Cats and rabbits can get along but you do need to be cautious. Introduce them slowly and make the cage so the cats can't put their paws through. You also need to make sure the cats litter box is not accessible to the rabbit as clumping litters are dangerous to rabbits. I don't know about territorial stuff, but they might be ok as the rabbit probably won't see the cat as a territorial threat like another rabbit could be.

Yep, I agree with Kate.

Also, I believe cat excrement can be harmful to bunnies (it can have parasites and things) so I would keep the cats away from the bunny litter box and the bunny away from the cat boxes.

Having a grate on the bunny litter box helps to prevent the cat from using it. Cat's generally will not go if they can't scratch and have a better option. I'm not as sure how to go the other way since my bun just is not permitted in the mud room (where the cat box is).

Cats can excrete the toxoplasmosis parasite. That's the reason pregnant women aren't supposed to have contact with cat litter--the parasite is harmful to human babies, but not human adults. Toxoplasmosis is very harmful to rabbits, however, so I would be very careful about allowing rabbits to spend time around cat litterboxes. It is rapidly fatal to rabbits. If you are sure your cats do not eat rodents (where the cats get the toxoplasmosis parasite), then it should be safe.

Cat bites and scratches are also a big worry for bunnies. They carry a lot of bacteria in their mouth and on their paws, and a cat bite can also be rapidly fatal for a rabbit.

So, cats and rabbits can get along, depending on the behavior/personalities of all creatures involved, and if you're sure there will be no biting or scratching of bunny and if you're sure the cat doesn't carry toxoplasmosis from eating mice, etc.

Ya of course the two would never have playtime without close watching and bunny wouldn't b allowed in kitty box and bunny box would picked up except during play time and kitty is strictly inside so def not a rodent eater I'll b sure to keep the 2 outta eachothers toilet Thanx for the info

my rabbit and cat are fine together but i wouldnt let them together unsupervised. ive noticed when my rabbit runs around and stuff, my cat chases and plays like a cat and clawed my rabbits eye.

Latest posts

Back