Wierd molt, or going bald?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
My Flemish doe Big Mama is doing something strange. For a while she has been having what looked like jsut a weird molt. But then a couple of days ago I picked her up to do a general checkup, and whenI turned her over to look at her feet I found that her belly is almost completly bald!

She is not itchy, shows no signs of any skin irritation. Charlie is in the cage next to her, with a wire barrier, and he is not showing any signs of any problem. I don't know how contagious mites are, would he have them if she does? She has been doing this for quite a while, her belly has just gone bald here recently. And another wierd thing is, there is no fur laying around in her cage like there usually is with a molt, so where did it all go? She has always had sensitive skin, she's only four years old though. Could this jsut be a weird molt brought on by the odd weather we have been having? Her appetite and everything seems normal, just the fur thing.

:?I was going to ask if she had been pulling since Charlie is nearby but there's no fur lying around... Did you check her mouth? Just in case... Odd.... I am looking forward to hearing what others have to say :?

Check her mouth? Do you mean is she carrying fur around like she is building a nest? She hasn't been doing that, there is no sign of her making any attempt at nesting.

I've had a number of similar cases this year - not sure if it was fungal, bacterial, mites or some other cause. Carbaryl has generally cleared it up (Sevin dust).

Pam

Carbaryl is a common ingredient in garden dust (Sevin), poultry dustand kitten flea powder. Try your local feed, pet or garden stores.

As with any substance applied to the skin, there is risk of toxic reaction to hyper-sensitive individuals.

Pam

I didn't know you could use Sevin on rabbits. I have used it on poultry with mites before, so I am familiar with it. Do you just apply it once, or does it need to be done again after a certain time?

The dust may need tobe applied every few days. Sevin dust is listed as safe for application on cats (which have the same skin sensitivity as rabbits). I've used Sevin for many years on rabbits without a problem - however, like cats, some rabbits are hypersensitive to Carbaryl and may experience a toxic neurological reaction. Washing the Carbaryl off the skin generally reverses the symptoms.

Pam

Back