Why won't she eat them?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever link you posted doesn't work.

But anyways, have you tried Flashy's method in "Bonding with your Bunny"?

Here it is if you haven't read it.

http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=33995&forum_id=17

Treats[/i]- Treats can be a very good way to entice a rabbit to you, and to teach the bun that being with you has a pleasurable outcome. This can only be used if the rabbit is old enough to tolerate treats, and also if you know what treats your new bunny friend likes (although trial and error can work well if you happen to hit the right treat early on).

There are lots of ways to help your rabbit associate you with treats. Nervous rabbits may take more time to associate you with them, than other bunnies.

To take the process slowly the treat could be placed in the food bowl. This is a place that the rabbit hopefully sees as safe, and so should eat the treat and discover all the deliciousness it holds. Over time the treat can start to be placed elsewhere in the cage so that the rabbit gets used to you putting your hand in and putting down a treat, and then leaving.

At this point the rabbit should start to associate you with the treat, and so you could try placing a treat on your hand and allowing the rabbit to come and take it. Do not move your hand though as this could be seen as threatening behaviour and might take you back a step. If the rabbit does not come and you need to move, place the treat where you hand was, and move (Caroline, Unknown).

A different method might be to, after having placed the treat in various places in the cage, use a fork or spoon to hold it in the cage, but make sure it is held still or it might scare the rabbit.

161.jpg

[align=left]If the rabbit happily takes it from the spoon or fork, you can, over days, weeks, months, move your hand further down the fork or spoon until your hand touches the treat and the rabbit happily takes it.

162.jpg

At this point you could try not using the fork or spoon and the rabbit should happily take the treat from your hand.

166.jpg

[/align]

Montana that is great - I didn't see Flashy's info on bonding with your bunny - how great is that! That is so helpful.

I can only suggest that maybe she is nervous? Or just unsure. When you leave treats alone with her does she eat them? Is she only shy when she is out with you and given treats? A few of my buns won't eat treats when they are out because they are just more interested in exploring and watching what is going on. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back