why won't my rabbit play when i get home?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my wife and i work all day so we keep our rabbit in his cage all day and as soon as we get home around 5 we let him out. i would think that he would be happy and want to play around some after getting his freedom but really all he does is go in the corner and sleep until 11 or so. thats when he decideds to get active but that is also when we are getting ready for bed so he has to be put away. is there anyway to get him to play more while we are there during the evening so he is getting enough exercise? thanks for all of your help! oh and he is young, just about a year. i don't knowif that makes a differnce or not.

oh dear that is a shame, my bunnies seem to be sleepy and lazy at dinner time, they laze a little in the evening but still bounce around. Do you think he is lonely and wants a mate to play with?? Could be wrong there. I have heard that evenings and mornings are their busy time but 11 is really quite late isnt it. have you tried treats to tempt him? Is he generally quite curious and interested at other times? i suppose he could have missed you and be sulking, is he totally in good health otherwise?/
I am sure someone with more knowledge of this sort of thing will have some insight on here soon xxxx

well we thought about getting him a bunny friend but we got him from a shelter and one of the reason he was there was because he could not play nice with other rabbits. when he is active he is very interested in everything around him. and we can tell that he is happy because he is always jumping and running around in a fit of joy. we try giving him treats but he will usually just eat them and go back to resting. he is in very good health but just won't start playing until late.

You know, I have the same problem with my bun. He's verrryyy laid back, and tends to come awake right at bed time. We have him in a cage with an xpen attached, so even if we're asleep I know he has some room to run around and exercise. Would that be an option for you? I know it would be more fun to have them be active when we're around, but giving him more space to run when you're sleeping would be good for him. He might get into your schedule more the longer you have him because he'll figure out what times he should be awake and sleeping. Good luck!

benningtonjones wrote:
well we thought about getting him a bunny friend but we got him from a shelter and one of the reason he was there was because he could not play nice with other rabbits. when he is active he is very interested in everything around him. and we can tell that he is happy because he is always jumping and running around in a fit of joy. we try giving him treats but he will usually just eat them and go back to resting. he is in very good health but just won't start playing until late.
Is your buck neutered? If not, that would be a very strong reason for the lack of "playing nice" with the other buns.

What do you have in the way of toys?

we do have a pen for him that we used but he learned pretty quick that he could move it around and from that point on he spent more time trying to escape the pen then actually play. as for toys we have a few different balls, some wooden carrots, a stuffed hot dog, random boxes and he played with a paper bag for a long time. is there any toys that you found bunnies seems to like better then others.

Cardboard tunnels go over big at my house... phonebooks too.
Stuff toilet paper tubes full of hay.
Maybe a pile of towels to shove about and bunch...

Is he neutered? That might make the difference whether or not he could have a bud in the future.

My buns are sometimes night owls...

What exposure does he have to natural light? Near a window?

One thing to note about rabbits is that they are MOST active at dawn and dusk--that's when they eat as it's harder for predators to spot them. We close the blinds down and ours seem to be fairly active--differs from bunny to bunny though. Their absolute favorite toys are card board tubes from toilet paper and paper towels and they get endless fun destroying cardboard boxes. I cut an entry into one and within three or four days there is very little box left. Good thing it's a cheap toy.

When you let him out, does he run circles around your feet? Does he sit/lay near (w/in a few feet) you? Thatmight indicate he is happy to see you and likes being with you, but just doesn't want to play now.

Does he sit near you with his back turned? That might indicate he is angry with you for leaving him all day and he is "scolding" you!

Of course, notice that I said MIGHT! lol! Everybunny is different.

How is your pen set up? If it is in a circle or octagon, it should be secure enough for him to not escape, no? I have 24 and 30 inch pen, one for each bunny. I secure the edges together with metal clips and they stay together. The buns know it's pretty much useless to try to escape. They might try for a bit but given enough time they will realize it's not time well spent. They just run around instead. Toby still tries to chew on the fence every now and again.

Kirby is the same. He comes alive at 11pm. What helped meis changing the time that he eats. I used to give him his dinner salad at 6, no later than 7 and when he finishedthat, then I fed bim pellets,and he would sit and digest/relax until 9 and around 10 he comes out of his cage. By 11 he is ready to play and I am ready to sleep. Now, I put out more hay for him when I come home. I let him eat his pellets around 7, 7:30and gave him salad at 8ish. The combination (I don't know why) seems to make him more likely to come out earlier in the night, maybe it's because I swapped pellet and salad order. Also seems to help: Sitting in the bunny area. He may just come out and investigate why I am sitting in his kingdom.

Another theory I've had since early spring: I make sure I let Kirby see natural sunsetby opening the shades, so he knows it's night time, then the rest of the night I turn on the light... I don't know if he just thinks the days and nights are very short here or what. Basically after dark, the lights turn on from 9pm-1am, then it's dark until sunrise. I have a timer that turns the lamp on and off and adjust it to turn on just after sunset. I have to adjust it every month or so to account for changing day and night length.

It sounds crazy!But seems to help me! Kirby gets up and out much earlier now.

Latest posts

Back