why Tattoos ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After taking a poll of the breeders here as to what they use, I bought the EZ-Tat pen..I LOVE IT!

Here, the rabbits are required to be tattooed so as there is no mix ups at the show table. However, I can ALWAYS pick mine out (yes I just tooted my own horn)

Tattoo's are usually only required for show rabbits.. but I am speaking of the norm here, other areas I can't speak for.

A breeder friend of mine has all his Tattooed in case for some reason they are put in the wrong cage or something. he has detailed records based on the ear Tat..I dont have as many rabbits and can keep up with mine with simple cage cards..

As for my system, it depends on the kid whos showing them. My oldest sons first 3 buns were his intials DBP and the number of the rabbit, so it was DBP1 DBP2 AND DBP3, the next set were DBP4 DBP5 and DBP6.

The mother's we usually show in the breeder class .. we did not intially really have a system, but for instance the one my son is partial to is J93, as in his birthday June 1993, my other son's breeder show doe is A98.. August 1998. The subsequent offspring of those does that we show as breeders ONLY are usually numbered A98-1 and A98-2. As in the offspring that are specifically for breeder showing, as in they are usually a fine rabbit specimen, but they dont match any of the other rabbits to make a set of 3. The ones that go into sets get numbered with the kids intials and a number..

That may sound confusing.. but for instance, last fair season, we had a litter of 10, and only needed three sets of 3. So we had one extra. We always show the extra as a breeder. So they were all the offspring of J93. So it went something like this..

My oldest son showed:
J93 as a breeder (the mother)
and
DBP13
DBP14
DBP15.

My youngest son showed the extra bunny as a breeder.. so he showed

J93-1
and
SCP6
SCP7
SCP8

Then the 3 that were left went to a friend of the boys, as
ATD1
ATD2
ATD3

Basically that kids intials..

Did I confuse you much? LOL

It really requires a notebook to keep up with who's kit is who's and who belongs to who..

It may sound confusing, but I dont have a large scale breeder program, so I am able to keep up with them..

Cool.

I have one bunny to tat, and I am not putting a skull and crossbones or "Mom" in a heart. ;)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I have one bunny to tat, and I am not putting a skull and crossbones or "Mom" in a heart. ;)
Hmmm... maybe a nice rendition of Jessica Rabbit? LOL! :roflmao:

Latest posts

Back