Why is she doing this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
We have begun to wean little Kalea-Rae (will update with pictures later ;) ) from her mommy, but there have been some difficulties. Since Lily has just this one baby, they have formed a bond like no other mom & baby relationship (in rabbits) that I have ever seen before!

With Autumn, she wanted her babies gone as soon as they were old enough, because they drove her crazy! Sure, she missed them, but she was also happy they were gone.

But Lily is a whole different story. Kalea has been sleeping in her own cage and going to see her mommy every morning for some milk, and then straight back to her cage. This will continue with the milk for about 5 or 6 more days (each day, milk consumption being shorter and shorter) until she doesn't get milk at all anymore.

But Lily doesn't like this idea....She is grieving over her baby being gone (mind you, Kalea is 6 weeks old already! Which is the time we usually start with weaning) and she just wants her darling back. It's so bad, that she builds nests; that's how badly she misses her baby.

Lily is able to view the cage (Kalea is in a NIC ex. pen.) where her daughter is, but she still is very sad. :(

What are we to do? Kalea-Rae NEEDS to be weaned! We are planning on selling her...but Lily just loves her too much. Their bond and relationship is just inseperable!! What should we do?

Emily

Bump? :anyone:

I wish I could help you but I let the mamas set the weaning age usually. Some of my mamas have wanted their babies for 8 weeks (which is when I finally insist on taking them away) and I let them have them that long and then I pull the bucks out. Others want to wean at five weeks and unless they're mounting and fighting - I make them stay till about 6 1/2 - 7 weeks of age. Right now my Valentine's Day litter is at just over 6 weeks old and the way mama is acting - I imagine they will be with her until close to 8 weeks cause she's not ready to let them go.

I think Popcorn - one of our singletons....was with her mama for like 6 weeks and then mama was like, 'Get her out of here'.

I hope other breeders can help you out.....sorry that I'm not more help. I just sort of always follow the lead of my mamas.

Peg

Peg, that is some help! Don't worry. That's so weird your does do that.....the thing is, I'm planning on showing Lily & Kalea at the youth fair in May, so I have to get Lily to dry up before then (or do I even have to?) so that's why we're weaning Kalea - plus, she'll be 7 weeks old this Sunday.

Lily has been getting better about it now. I think it was just when we first took her away for that night, she freaked out and built a nest. Now, all she does is clean Kalea for a good 15 minutes when she sees her....making sure she's ok, wondering where she's been, etc.

Their bond is just SO strong.

Im wondering, after Lily dries up, is it ok to let Kalea still live with her, or when she tried nursing, would the milkcome back?

Emily

I'm not a breeder, but at the shelter.. we've had quite a few mother/children pairing, and the bond between the two is amazingly strong. If we ever separated them, one of them, or both, would be extremely upset.

If I were you, I'd keep the little one! I don't know if you separate them, and then put them back together after a set period of timing to ensure the mother no longers produces milk.

But I love bonded bunnies :biggrin2: If I were queen of the world, bunnies would be in pairs =P

I'm sorry I can't offer help like an experienced breeder could.

PixieStixx, your advice was good!

Well we have to cut back on bunnies, and stuff. So that's why we are going to be selling her...otherwise she'd stay with us! We'll just have to see how things go, and see if we're able to keep her or not...otherwise we'll sell her probably when shes about 8-12 weeks old (I'm planning on selling her at a show ;) )

Emily

I know what you mean! I'm overflowing up here as well =P

Good luck on whatever happens with the little cutie pie!

Personally I would leave her until she's 8 weeks, there's really no need to seperate them at this stage. They don't need any help weaning, they can do by themselves. Also, at this sensitive age you don't want Kalea under any more stress than necessary. Lily will stop producing milk soon, she should be ready to show in May. She won't start producing again if you put Kalea back with her later. As Peg said, most does will let you know when they've had enough of their little ones! Just follow her lead and she'll let you know what is best for herself and her baby. Sometimes you have to listen to your rabbits instead of your head. ;)

Thanks Jenson :)

Well I think Lily is ok with the fact of Kalea being gone now, and they still see eachother every morning, but soon it will be everyother morning (for milk), etc. Lily is getting by better and I think it was just that first night that made her really sad/depressed, etc.

Emily

What about putting them in a cage with only a wire barrier between them? Like a double cage, and make a wall with hardware cloth? Then they are still able to see and smell each other, and can lay down together, but the baby can't nurse.

Gentle, That is a good idea, and that's actually what I first had in mind too do, was split Lily's cage in half (don't worry, it's big enough ;) ) and then put Kalea in one half, etc.

We could possibly do that, but with our NIC panels, because Kalea can't get thru those, and we could overlap them on the bottom too ;) just to be safe.

She's in with her momma for the past few days whilst Karlee's buns have been here, and then we had to clean her cage out (For some reason we have like an ant infestation, and they're going for the water.....so we have to clean out Kalea's pen extra good, etc.) and then redo it, etc. So yea.

Emily

Labrador and Precious live in a split NIC cage. The barrier is composed of several overlapping NIC grids because of those first few nipping days. Split cages are very effective!

Latest posts

Back