Whole House Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krissa

Reaction score
Zander is doing great post neuter with his litter box so we rabbit proofed the house electric cords and we are ready to let him explore on his own. Right now he will hop to the doorway of the room he stays in and lean out the door, then scurry back to his cage. I am going to let him explore outside the room on his own schedule.

On that note, how many litter-boxes should I have around the house for him? The cat's have two boxes in the basement and they are fine about going down to them. Are rabbits the same? Will he hop back into his cage even if he is across the house? He has one box in the room he says in and one in his cage.

I had a ferret once that you had to have litter-boxes in every corner of the house - very annoying.

Should I plan on a box per room and see how it goes or let him explore on his own schedule and he may just go a bit at a time and return to his cage?

What I would like is if he follows me around the house like the dog/cats do. Zander is already very underfoot in his room so I think he will want to be where the action is in the rest of the house.

It would depend a lot on the individual rabbit. Some may need one in every room while others only need the one in the cage. I would probably have the one in his room and at least 1 other one somewhere else. He will probably choose a place where he wants to go and you can put the box there.
I would just take it slow and see what he does. He might only use the one if his room, but he could also need more in the house.

Like Kate said, it depends on the rabbit. Mine are fine with one litter box area on the floor - it's in the dining room and they will come into the living room, then go back to use it. Our house is small though, so it's a straight shot back. If you have a big house and the cage is far away from the main living area, you might want to have one in the cage and one where he will be hanging out the most (like the living room or kitchen) so it's easy for him.

I'll pick up a few rubbermaid container this week then. We have a ranch so he has a lot of floor to cover, and it is in a 'figure 8' so you can't get anywhere quickly.

Hopfully he chooses a better place than for his first box - almost in a doorway!

Can't wait to have my bunny hopping around the house with me!

Also, about following, I find that my two follow me all over (except that I have a lot of hardwoods, which means one bunny stops on the edge of the rug. haha) Bunnies are so naturally curious and want to be in your business that they can't help follow their people around. I love hardwoods, but sometimes wish for wall to wall carpet so they would follow me all around the house :)

Each bunny is different. Commander Bun-Bun would only go in her hutch, which was super. Commodore Stockton went wherever he was laying but went to the litter box when he had to pee. For the others, I had to put out more boxes depending on where they went.

Latest posts

Back