White worms in my Rabbits neck. What is it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think you need to be more specific for anyone to be able to tell you
also i would make an appt w/ the vet right away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could either be a bot fly larvae (a fat larvaeresiding under the skin, feeding on body fluidsand breathingthrough a hole in the skin) -- or it could be a form of "fly strike" --maggots feeding on the flesh of the rabbits.

In either case, the rabbit needs to get to a vet. Fly stikecan lead to shock and subsequent death. A bot fly larvaewould need to be removed.

Pam

The bot fly you described sounded like it. Theirwas a little whole in his neck and when i sqeezed it this worm cameout. Anyway thank you for your reply.

Welcome Amber28333,

Please let us know how you make out at the veterinarian's. I wouldn't delay in getting the little one there.

-Carolyn

I was looking up fly stike and found thepost. I think this has happened to Danny's bew polishdoe. She had the fur eaten off her face about 4 weeks ago byher neighbor. I moved her and the fur was growing backnicely. When I went to water last night, her face had a bump,when I picked her up and squeezed it 4 yellowish white things cameozzing out. It looked like semi-solid pus that sometimescomes out of a pimple. The lighting in my bus is not good andthis was while I was carring her out, so I am not sure but I guess itcould have been worms. Then I felt another bump about a halfinch over from the first and when I squeezed it the same thinghappened. By now I had her inside on the couch and could seemuch better, I had aready wiped away what had come out before I gotin. I kept on squeezing until nothing else came out and thenput peroxide on the places. After wiping that away, I couldclearly see the holes, which looked like they had been made by a nail,nice and round. By poking around with the pointed tweezers, Ifound two more holes and squeezed pus like stuff out of them as welland went to work on the other area with the same results.

Since by now it was after midnight, I checked on line and found I hadbeen basically doing the right thing. So I cleaned it all outagain with peroxide and made sure I couldn't squeeze anything else outof anywhere. Both areas are on her face between her eyes, Iguess her forehead. I put bacitirin onitment on aswell. Today I have cleaned several times and by thisafternoon the areas seem to be scabbing over and the holes are nolonger visible. Should I remove the scabs, or just keep upthe the peroxide and ointment? I was advised to find HetacinK which is a cow medicene in a mastitis tube, but so far have beenunable to locate any. She is inside and is eating anddrinking like normal and playing withher paper roll likenothing is wrong. Any advice or comments would bewelcomed. Thanks Donna

Bot flies should be carefully removed withtweezers and never squeezed out. This can kill and causeinfection in the wound.

Pam

Latest posts

Back