Which breed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopntailrabbitry

Reaction score
Anyways,

of course a few of you guys know I breed Holland Lops. And since I've sold 4 Holland Lops and hopefully and crossing fingers that somebody will buy the 2 Holland Lops that I have up For Sale will buy the at the fair and I have 2 Holland Lops available for Sept. And at the fair I am having a waiting list so people can reserve a rabbit but they need to give me a deposit though anyways.

Ok, I was off track a bit... lol Anyways I made a goal to sell a certain number of Holland Lops before I went to breed the next breed...but however I will still be breeding Holland Lops too.

So what do you think which breed I should breed next:

American Fuzzy Lops

or

Lionheads

I love both of them but I really want to get Fuzzy Lops because they are VERY hard to find breeders in NJ. So what do you think? Fuzzies or Lionheads? I think Fuzzies....please give me your opinion.

Thanks a bunch! :)

Go with your heart :)

If you want to breed fuzzy lops then go for it. If you chose a breed you didn't particularly want to at the moment, then you might regret it and not enjoy it as much as you might.

That's true.

I love both breeds. lol And my mom likes Lionheads,but I'm trying to her to like Fuzzies even more. But first I of course have to sell the 2 Holland Lops and get people on my waiting list. :) And ughhh I need to get more cages. hehe I do have the money and I need to get a money order but sadly I have no car to get the money order. :(

Well, because Lion heads don't really have a breed standard (correct me if I am wrong here) and Fuzzy lops do, I would probably breed the Fuzzy Lops... That way if you have someone intrested in a show rabbit, they can show them. (Once again, correct me if I am wrong here!)

But you do know whats best for you, so you do what you think is right :) I am sure it will be the right thing in the long run :)

Oh wait somebody wants to like buy a rabbit now. lol Or if not hopefully tomorrow. :) *crosses fingers* Even though I stated on my site I am not selling them for pets but hey my mom said get one of the rabbits out of here. lol

Lionheads do have standards but the big problem with the Lionheads is there is a only a few colors that you can show though. But I'm thinking going towards Fuzzies...because I just asked my mom and she said as long as I'm paying for everything,and I asked the breeder if she can bring the rabbit to me and she only lives about the 45 min. away from me and I'll give her extra money for gas. So I guess Fuzzies then...

Lionheads might be difficult because they aren't a fully accepted breed yet. The standards aren't set in stone and could still change, and what people were looking to breed for a few years ago is not what they are looking to breed for now... but those older types are still out there being bred so you have to be careful. And I think the only color that is allowed at most shows is tort.

I think Fuzzies would be better because they are a standardized breed. And if there aren't many breeders in your area yet you might have an easier time finding homes for the babies (or I could be wrong, LOL!).

Ohh ok,

the color only color that Lionheads can only be shown is tort,black,blue,chestnut agouti,fawn,REW,sable point,and siamese sable. But Lionheads are adorable but expensive. So I guess maybe I will be going towards the Fuzzies. :)

There is several AFL breeders in New England that have awesome stock.

I am sure that several of them will be showing in October at the Storr's

CT show and would have stock for sale. That is a big show and not all

that far from NJ.

Go to the AFL website linked through the ARBA page to find some of the

New England breeders. There is also the PaSRBA convention in February

where I am sure that you could find stock.

Your other option is to talk with breeders in your area that are going to the

ARBA convention and ask them to keep a look out for you or contact some

reputable breeders beforehand and arrange the sale and have your area

breeders pick them up for you.

Roger

Ahh ok Thanks. I would love to go to ARBA but my parents don't feel like driving 2-3 hours away from the show. But however I am in contact will a Fuzzy breeder though.

hopntailrabbitry wrote:
Ohh ok,

the color only color that Lionheads can only be shown is tort,black,blue,chestnut agouti,fawn,REW,sable point,and siamese sable. But Lionheads are adorable but expensive. So I guess maybe I will be going towards the Fuzzies. :)

Lionheads are not an accepted ARBA breed in any variety.

The torts passed a first showing (they must pass 2 more), so now have a working standard and are allowed to be shown as an exhibition breed. This is the only variety that show secretaries must allow to be exhibited - they may refuse all other varieties, or may allow any to be shown as they choose. (Anyone can write up their own standard for any breed variety, and request it to be allowed to be exhibited at a show, and I've judged varieties not listed on the proposed standards).

Pam

Latest posts

Back