What would you do if........

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
What would you do if.....

Everyday you have had your (really old) rabbit he used to come out when i fed and watered him for a stroke and a munch and then all of a sudden he stopped today morning and afternoon he didn't come out and see me when i fed and watered him, he just stayed in his hiding bit. Also he usually drinks lots of water and eats all his food so when i go and fill them up they are empty but today his water was still full and he hadn't eaten all his food. HELP ME is it just cuz it's cold today or ... i don't know!!

Will he take any treats from you? My first thought would be that he has a bit of gas. Can you feel his tummy, is it hard feeling? Is he sitting hunched? If so, you can try giving some baby gas meds. You can start by syringing 1cc every hour for 3 hours. See if that helps any. The brand you can get where you are I believe is called Ovol. Keep us posted.

Here's an article from our library on gas/stasis:

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/hot_topics/hint_9.html

Have you picked him up to check him?

My very old bunny did that twice, one day when he had got himself all wrapped up in hay and cut the ciruclation off to his feet and couldn't move, and one time when he had broken his third leg. That was the day we had him put to sleep. You need to get your bun out to check him. Maybe put him down on the floor, see if he walks, how does he act, does he act different, things like that.

I hope he's ok.

ugh I am going to try to type this again.

I dont have any answers for you but more questions that might help someone else determine or better answer you. It is better that all details are revealed becasue it might make things more clear as to why your bun is acting the way he is.

What is the rabbit eating, pellets (timothy or alfalfa based) and veggies?

What kind of cage and bedding are you using?

what are the temps where you are at?

How is your rabbits eyes look, and is his nose clear of gunk?

How is your rabbits breathing?

how old is your rabbit?

can your rabbit walk, is there any injury?

whens the last time your rabbit actually ate?

Has your rabbit had any surgery, or any problems lately?

These are just some questions that might help someone answer you better. good luck and i hope someone can help

I tried posting this about 15 times but something was wrong,lol.

Is your rabbit living inside or outside?

My senior rabbit has pulled this on me quite a few times. But you must take each time seriously. Check for injuries - Muffy stopped eating one time because her mate overgroomed her inbetween her shoulder blades, and she accumulated a wound.

Does your rabbit have arthrtis? Or have you check for arthrtis? He/She may not be moving as much due to arthrtis. Pain is a huge option as to why seniors slow down in eating and moving.

What about gas or teeth? - Sometimes rabbits tend to stop eating due to teeth issues. Their molars can cut into their tongues. And gas can also cause a bunny to stop eating.

For the time being, maybe you can use Oval or something with simethecone as a precaution - it won't hurt your rabbit even if the bun does not have gas. Also feed your critical care.

But you really should take your bun to the vet!

To everyone,
The only person in my family who can pick up my rabbit is my dad becuase he is too big and heavy for me my mum or my sis. He hates being picked up

What is the rabbit eating, pellets (timothy or alfalfa based) and veggies?
He is eating dry food and veggies(carrots, lettuce) he also has the occasinal apple when my dad's tree provides them. (By the way he has eaten the same sort of food for 8 or 9 yrs the dry stuff )
What kind of cage and bedding are you using?
Nibbles has a wooden cage and he has straw for a bed. (he's an outdoor rabbit remember)

what are the temps where you are at?

I am not sure what the temps r here at the mo but i live in england and it is quite cold - though he has been out in snow b4 so i dont think tths the problem,

I will check today when i go out and se him.
how old is your rabbit?
8 or 9
i will see if he has eaten it all this mornin
Has your rabbit had any surgery, or any problems lately?

Nope he's not had any surgey lately.
I am going to check him now be backs oon.

Okay I have just been out to feed Nibs.

He is fine and he let me check his eyes and nose!
fine as well, he got a bit excited when i gave him his food (he didn't do this yesterday i think it was just a one off)
how old is your rabbit?
8 or 9
Yep and he can hop to his food in an instant,.
He had eaten but he left most of it (last night) but this mornin his water was practilly empty and so was his bowl.

Thnx everyone for your help
I think yesterday wa sjust a one off.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm glad to hear that he's doing better!

It really good that you noticed the difference in his daily routine, it's very important for bunny parents to be aware of those changes. Sometimes it is our only clue that something is wrong.

Shows how much you love your bunny.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back