What to use on bottom of cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
I am currently using a thick layer of fleece as bedding for Gumby - but my boyfriend is worried that the urine will seep through and affect the laminate flooring. I must admit - he is probably right. I don't know where I could find coroplast around here :s is there anything else I could use? (other than ceramic tiles as they're really costly for the size of Gumby's cage!!)

Check hardware stores for coroplast. I usually find it near the back with the wood and plexiglass stuff. It has other names, so ask for things like corrugated plastic or the stuff to make signs. If you have an election coming up near you, those signs can be used if you can get enough.

You can use linoleum and fold up the sides.

Some people use plywood cut to size and put stick on tiles on top so it is easy to clean. You may want to make sides for it as well, but it depends on your tools and his habits.

If you can't find anything right away, try getting a tarp and laying it on the floor so that it is bigger than the cage and putting your fleece on top of that. It should at least prevent urine from getting to your floor. Be careful as some rabbits will chew it.

Good tips - I'll go to the local hardware store tomorrow and try to find some coroplast. If not, my boyfriend just informed me that he has coroplast signs at work (he works at a Dodge dealership) from promotions on certain types of vehicles and they're just throwing them away when they're done with them... Does it matter if they have been images on them? The ink used wont affect him in any way?

signs/graphics and racing stripes is what i do for a living and norm they put vinyl lettering on coroplast signs..that needs to come off.:).if u go to a sign supplier shop u can get a whole sheet of coroplast 5x8 for really cheap..i know i get a discount but i buy the black coroplast (which looks nicer) and i pay 8 bucks a sheet...the tough thing about piecing a bunch of those signs together to make a floor is if the bun finds where they connect they will obsessively chew at it...and it will leak thru the crack no matter how much u tape it on the other side..ive tried it:):),,hopefully u guys can come up with a big sign:)

Just wait for your BF to get you some signs, no need to pay for something you can get free.
If you use bedding, you shouldn't need to worry about the lettering and such. If you are concerned, you can get stick on tiles to put over it.

One tip I do have is to put plastic poster hangers over the top edge. This prevents chewing and saves a lot of work to repair it in the future. It is best to do it before you put in in the cage and it can be a huge pain in the butt to do. The trick is to slide them on and tape them down. My bunnies who will chew through the coroplast cannot get it with the poster hangers on.

I use the plastic table cloth stuff over plywood, with newspaper over the plastic. Works great if they can't get to it to chew.

Latest posts

Back