What to do if bunny has mites?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fender32

Reaction score
Hi all, I have been observing my bunny for alittle while, and i notice he does seem to itch himself alot. I alsohave seen red spots on the back of his neck where the fur is thinnest,and I am a bit concerned. I haven't the slightest idea where he gotthem from, because we have no other pets, but i did notice "dandruff"as i was taking him home the first day.

I just wanted to make sure that this is no serious problem and can be treated soon.

Thanks! :D

You can get mite sprays and powders which willbe infinately less stressful for both of youthan trying towash him in a mite shampoo. If you can't get one from apetshop or over the counter at the vets, your vet should be able toprescribe something.

I don't know a lot about mites, but I recall someone once told me thatmites can live under the skin for years and never appear but when theanimal gets stressed (i.e. new home, change of environment) they cancause a problem and start the poor thing scratching likecrazy. I believe you can also carry them on your clothes butI'm not 100% certain on that!

There are definately products on the market for mites, so give one ofthose a go (sorry, I don't have any personal recommendations), and makesure you follow the instructions to the letter. Ifany of this is wrong, I'm sure someone who knows better will tell youso and give me a ticking off for giving bad advice! :foreheadsmack:

Kitten flea powder containing Carbaryl (alsosold as Sevin garden dust)is available over the counter fortreatment. There are also topical applications as well asIvomec available from the vet.

Pam

I used some small animal spray for my boys whenthey had mites. It worked like a charm. I also moved them out of theirroom and got some of that flea/mite carpet powder and vacuumed thewhole room, just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back