What special things do you do for new mamas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
A gal on a list I'm on just lost a litter ofrabbits because her mama had a calcium deficiency. The mama had healthproblems trying to deliver but the breeder got her to the vet late atnight and at least they were able to save mama.

As she shared that he gave her the same advice I mentioned upon hearingthe problem (Tums or some other antacid w/ calcium in it) - I thoughtI'd ask here - for the sake of new breeders who want to learn.

What do you do to help your mamas before they kindle?

Anything special you try to do after they kindle?

I'm sure there are new breeders out there who may not know some of the tips y'all have.

I know I give my rabbits antacids for 2-3 days before they're due. Ibreak the tablet in half (I get the berry flavored ones) and theygobble them down.

So far...I've not had does have problems due to calcium deficiency.

Peg

I've never had any problems with calciumdeficency in my rabbits and i think thats partly to do with the factthat we feed lucerene(alfalfa?) pelletsat all times (nothingelse to buy). My aunt in WA has acess to a different feed which is notlucerene based with no added calcium and has had constant problems withlosing litters, mums and stunted growth within her herd.

So back to the point lol, She adds calcium to the does water from 2wksafter conception till the kits are about 4wks? i think. This seems toreally boost both mum and kits and since she started this shes's lostno more does or kits :D.

Back