What size kennel and Xpen for Jack?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilyasb

Reaction score
Before I spend the money, I'd like to know what size dog crate I should buy for my nethie, as well asan xpen.

I plan on have the kennel encolsed into the xpen so I can just open the kennel up and let Jack have some roaming time.

For me, I'd just buy the biggest of everything, but I have limited space so I need suggestions! I also love pictures, so if anyone has what I'm sort of interested in just show me some examples!

Would a NIC cage and Xpen (orNIC pen)be better? It just seems so costly to me.

X-pens are generally 1 size, but have different heights. They usually have 8 panels that are 2ft wide. The height can vary from 24" to 48", usually in 6" increments. A 30" tall pen should be tall enough for most rabbits, but if he can jump high, them go higher. You can configure it to just about any shape you want.

For a wire crate, I would go as big as you can. There is a wide variety of sizes, but you do want on big enough for him to move around when there is no pen attached. I would get one at least 2X3ft (24"X36"). It you have space, get a bigger one. You could add a shelf if you wanted too as well.

I think that an NIC cage and pen could be cheaper than an X-pen and wire cage. If you can find them on sale, it will help a lot. You do need a cage bottom and zip ties, but there are ways to get them cheaper. It can be a bit of a hassle to build the cage if you haven't done it before

Is there a reason you can't let him roam around your house (even one room) while he's out of the kennel? I bought a cage plus xpen, thinking I would use the xpen for exercise, but I ended up leaving the cage open all the time anyway so that the cage + xpen is really one huge cage. His exercise time is really when he's allowed into the rest of the house.

I guess what I'm saying is I think you'd be better off getting either a kennel OR an xpen, then letting him out to run around your house for a few hours. If you get both, you'll probably end up turning the whole thing into a giant cage (like I did) and that takes up a lot of room. Plus, I don't think just an xpen is enough exercise room - bunnies need a few hours out in a room so they can really run and stretch their legs. An xpen is about 4'x4' and really isn't enough room for running (though it's a great sized cage).

With the NICs, you can turn them into an x-pen, or cage, or both.
The other thing I love about NICs is that they can be rearranged to suit whatever space you have. If you are planning to move somewhere soon, they would give the most flexibility.

I built my pair's cage vertically, rather than horizontally to save space.

I would check out the price of a Super pet Giant xtra large cage, as I think it may be very very close to the same cost as the kennel (and would also contain the litter and hay better. Saves you the trouble of modifying the kennel.

I don't personally like those cages as they are way too small for my buns, but I think it would be right for a dwarf (if you are SURE he's a dwarf :D... I thought one of mine was, and surprise! He's not! :p)

Cage+x-pen, or kennel+xpen is the way to go :)

elrohwen wrote:
Is there a reason you can't let him roam around your house (even one room) while he's out of the kennel? I bought a cage plus xpen, thinking I would use the xpen for exercise, but I ended up leaving the cage open all the time anyway so that the cage + xpen is really one huge cage. His exercise time is really when he's allowed into the rest of the house.

I guess what I'm saying is I think you'd be better off getting either a kennel OR an xpen, then letting him out to run around your house for a few hours. If you get both, you'll probably end up turning the whole thing into a giant cage (like I did) and that takes up a lot of room. Plus, I don't think just an xpen is enough exercise room - bunnies need a few hours out in a room so they can really run and stretch their legs. An xpen is about 4'x4' and really isn't enough room for running (though it's a great sized cage).

elrohwen:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I actually don't feel safe letting him roam around my house because I have some cats, as well as dogs, that are highly interested in him as a 'play toy' or something other than that (which we won't discuss on here;)) I just don't want to chace it at all. I could let him roam around my bedroom, but I'd always be afraid of someone opening my bedroom door and a cat running in and getting him.

Ahh, that makes sense. I imagine a cat could jump into an xpen though? If your cats really wanted to get at him, I imagine putting him in the bedroom and closing the door would be safer than an xpen.

Have you introduced him to the cats? I don't have a cat, but most stories I hear about cats and bunnies are pretty positive (at least neutral). Dogs are trickier though.

elrohwen wrote:
Ahh, that makes sense. I imagine a cat could jump into an xpen though? If your cats really wanted to get at him, I imagine putting him in the bedroom and closing the door would be safer than an xpen.

Have you introduced him to the cats? I don't have a cat, but most stories I hear about cats and bunnies are pretty positive (at least neutral). Dogs are trickier though.

Well, I've had him out on the couch holding him before. I do this often to let the other animals get accustomed to him. All the cats were allowed to sniff Jack, and all of them reacted by opening their mouths and inhaling his smell like he was something intoxicating, haha. I took it as a bad sign. When he gets bigger I may try it more leniently, but until then I'm not chancing it.

My dog Ellie, however, protects him. She loves rabbits and gets very aggressive towards any other animal that gets near Jack. That's how she was with Mimah when I had her. She's never offered to harm him either. I'm not sure if it's territorial or what, but it's cute!

If you room is suitable other than the escape issue then you could create a double door. A mesh 'box' that fits over your doorway so you open the normal door, step into the box, close the door then open the mesh box door. The sort of thing they have on aviaries to stop birds flying out :)

Or, to expand on Tamsin's idea, you can put up a little fence inside the door with NIC cubes or whatever, open your door, then step over it. It might not keep the cats out, but it will keep the bunny in while you enter the room.

And I've give your kitties another chance - it doesn't sound like they're done anything dangerous at this point. Really, most cats do seem to get along with bunnies quite well. And it would be great if he could get a larger space to roam because you knew the cats wouldn't hurt him.

NorthernAutumn wrote:
You could always get soft paws claw covers to put on the cats if you are very worried about them taking a swipe at Jack.

HAHAHA, I've tried those! They lasted for about 10 minutes until all of them wereeaten off.And it's not the claws I'm worried about, it's the teeth! They could grab onto him even with the caps on, and bite at him.

I'm thinking about putting up a gate in front of my door and keeping Ellie in my room while Jack is out. That way, if a cat was to jump in, Ellie will attack the cat! Haha.

A two by two NIC cage would be a pretty big cage for a nethie and wouldn't be expensive to build.

Back