what should I feed a pregnant rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of hay, and you can keep feeding veg if you already give her that i start upping their food intake about a week before they are due and for 3 days before their date i give them half a rennies or you can use tums to up their calcium level.

Raspberry leaves are good but if she is not used to them i would be a bit careful and introduce them slowly they help to strengthen the uterus.

Hope that helps a bit every one is slightly different with what they do:)

Do not be surprised if your doe goes off her feed a day or so before she gives birth...it is normal.

I would give her the normal amount of food she eats and if she is really hungry I will sometimes give a tad bit more -but not much.

However, once they deliver and the babies are nursing more - I will up her food intake.

Peg

great thanks, my neighbour had to move and i had to take her rabbit, her pregnant rabbit. I've kept bunnies before, I have one of my own but despite the research I've attempted I may need some assistance.
what are other good things to feed her, I've heard about rasberry tea?? I put the nest box in today with lots of hay, she's apparently due on Tuesday!! I can't wait!!!
thank you!

I don't feed my bred does any differently than when they are not bred.

If you up the food too much while they are bred and they only have a couple

of kits you stand the chance of fetal giants. Trust me I have had them.

For the first two days after the kits are born I feed the doe her normal ration

and then start to slowly increase her feed. By the time the kits open their

eyes I am free feeding the doe.

Good Luck

Roger

ok, I usually feed her quite a bit, i know i'm bad. I am giving her more hay though, and more veggies than usual.

ABout the tums, she won't eat them. is there a better way than crushing them up in her bowl?

SHE HAD BABIES! i found five healthy little ones tucked in a perfect nest two white and three black maybe grey. Isn't that great!!?? i called her old owner and she said that the father isa netherland dwark sable point (maybe stable point??) so they're cross bred:?

yay!

Aw, congratulations, that's really REALLY terrific :D

Back