What I feed my buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hazel

Reaction score
I looked through the lists of pellets and couldn't find anything about my food, but I'm glad I saw the thing about Timothy complete, someone had told me to switch to it, but I didn't like the smell or texture and was going to wait for awhile before switching. I use Nature's Promise Premuim Rabbit food, it's timothy based. Anyone know anything on it?

Also, my buns get nutrapuffs as treats, about 2 each a day, anyone know anything about those? The buns LOVE them! :)

Hi there! :)

I wasn't too familiar with Nature's Promise Premium Rabbit Food, so I just did a quick search :).

Here's some information on it..

Ingredients: Sun-cured Timothy Grass Hay, Corn Gluten Meal, Ground Corn, Dried Beet Pulp, Dicalcium Phosphate, Dextrose, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Flaxseed Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Ground Vegetables (carrots, celery, beets, parsley, lettuce, watercress and spinach), Ascorbic Acid, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, and Vitamin B12 Supplement.

Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min.) 18.0%, Crude Fat (min.) 1.0%, Crude Fiber (max.) 22.0%, Moisture (max.) 12.0%.

It seems like a decent pellet. The protien is a bit high, but is ok for a growing bunny! You might have problems in the future if you keep her on the pellet because of the protein content. Sometimes bunnies get excess cecals (the stinky, soft clustered night droppings). It seems like a good pellet compared to others though! :D

I don't know about the nutrapuffs, but I generally stay away from treats from petstores and rather feed fresh fruit like apples.

Thank you soo much! I had been wondering if the protein was a little high. When should I take them off the pellets and switch? They're 4 and 6 mos. And what would you suggest as a good pellet?

They get every fruit/veggie treat imaginable, but they really love their nutrpuffs. I can't even say it in front of them or they come running at me and hop on my feet! They're small treats and they only get 2 a day.

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=6737

That has some info on them. Course since their pellets are high in protein... maybe the 8.5 is not a good idea. The problem is Hazel only reacts like that about one other thing, which she can only have a little bit a week...banana. Flopsy doesn't have any treat she especially loves, :(. I've been using them for training so now I'm going to have to work something out I guess, :? but I don't want to feed them anything unhealthy.

What breeds are they?

I would say switch at 8 months, because that's usually when they stop needing all the protein. 18% is usually used with breeders to maintain good weight with breeding does etc.. for a pet bunny, you should aim in between 13-15 or 16%.Do you free feed your pellets? I use Martin's Little Friends Less Active.. my guys are all active, it's just a timothy based pellet rather than alfalfa based. I've heard great things about Oxbow pellets too. I don't feed a large amount of pellets anyways (a small handful in the morning and at night) so my guys are ok with it. My guys diet is based mostly on grass hay and vegetables, with pellets and treats as supplements. If you have a similar diet for your guys, your guys might not even have a problem with the pellets you feed now if you only feed limited amounts. Just watch for weight problems and excess cecals.

They seem alright as a veryoccasional treat, maybe try to wean them off for 1 or 2 a week? I'm not too familiar with this certaintreat though.

For training, you can use old fashioned quaker oats. They are easy to give for training with out treat overdosing, because you can just give them a couple of flakes and they're happy with it! My guys love oats, but they only get them as treats. They would work great as a training tool with your guys!

The Natures Promise sounds like an 'okay' pellet. I agree, the protein is pretty high, but the fiber is good.

Oxbow Bunny Basics T is pretty much the best quality food, and im going to be making my first order in a couple days.

http://www.oxbowhay.com/Shop/showProduct.sp?PRODUCT_NO=44

It sounds expensive, but if you look at this thread, you can see I will actually be saving money by buying oxbow, instead of a brand I get at a petstore.

Nutra-puffs actually don't look that bad, but they aren't anything healthy. Most bunnies go NUTS for craisins, they are a little healthier.

Also, maybe you could try baking your own 'bunny cookies', with things your bunnies like in them.

http://www.rabbit.org/fun/biscuts.html

:)

Well I'm pretty sure Hazel is a variation of an American Sable, she's tiny though. And I'm not sure what Flopsy is, she has the wild cottontail coat, and I could find some similar types, but nothing close enough to definitely be her. She's also tiny.

They get about 1/2 a cup pellets each, give or take, since I put the cup of pellets in each morning and they eat what they want. They eat a TON of hay and get veggies and some fruits every day. When I first got Hazel, she had some major soft stools and I thought I was going to lose her for awhile. Luckily she came through it pretty quickly, and has had no problems with digestion since.

Yeah, finding a timothy based pellet has been hard, and now that I know about Timothy Complete, Nature's Promise is the only one I've seen at stores, so I guess I'm going to have to order online.

Quaker Oats? Really? I'll definitely look into it, I believe we have some in the house right now. Thanks so much! :)

I saw the pictures in your introduction thread :). Very cute! Are they bonded?The rabbitry is great for helping identify breeds/colours! There is a colour called agouti that is very similar looking to wild bunnies.

I would maybe think about decreasing their pellets in a few months. Pellets are great for growing bunnies, but for adult bunnies it tends to just make them chubby :p. I don't feel like there is a 'right' amount of pellets to feed, just see how they do! If they are at a good weight - not too chubby or too skinny and appear healthy, you probably have the right amount of pellets! When you decrease the pellets, just gradually increase the veggies if you feel they are acting like they are hungry :D.

I'm glad she isn't having any digestive problems now, poor baby. That's great that they eat a ton of hay! :) Hay is the best!

My guys LOVE oats! I sprinkle a pinch on their pellets every so often, and they think it's just the best!

I missed your post bc I was posting, but those cookies look great, I plan on making some soon!

Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely going to look into those pellets, :)

Yes, they're bonded, that was QUITE a process, haha. The first day we had Hazel, Flopsy ran to attack her and she ran under my arm, since then, Hazel thinks of my arms and shoulders as "safety." Once I realized Hazel went INSANE for banana, I put a little bit on Flopsy's head and Flopsy got what she wanted...grooming. They've been super sweet ever since, :)

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/235/img0749yr8.jpg

And I think I'll go make a post seeing if people can identify them. :biggrin2:

I'll definitely start slowly weening them off Nature's Promise in a few months and make sure they stay healthy. :)

Back