What color is little Josephine?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennawing

Reaction score
In the intro, they told me to post here to askif someone can help me with Josie's color. I am thinking she isTortoise, but not sure- and would you say a black tortoise or chocolatetortoise, etc- or does that matter? I've read the genetics, so prettysure she isn't fox or orange becaseu of her ear color, but a littleconfused on the light grey undercoat and the orange spots on her belly.She came from a petstore, so of course they didn't know. Thanks inadvance!

josie%20012.jpg

josie%20011.jpg

josie%20009.jpg

josie%20002.jpg

She's a tortoise.Chocolate tortoise is possible, but generally the shading is so lightthat it is hard to discern. A chocolate tort would have aslight ruby glow to the eye in subdued light.

Pam

Thanks, pamrock. I don't think her eyes show redat all- not even in pictures with flash have they picked up anyredness. So, is it proper to call her color just 'Tortoise'?

When you say just tort or tortoise it is assumedthat you mean a black tort so yes it would be proper to just call her atort (if she isn't a chocolate). The other variations are normallyspecified like blue tort, lilac tort, orchocolate tort.

OK, great! Thanks! Just don't want to sound stupid if someone asks me what color she is called :D

BTW, from what I have read, rabbit genetics look a lot more complicatedthan hamster or gerbil- tons more phenos and allele modifyers! Kudos toyou rabbit breeders for taking on so much!

Latest posts

Back