What can i do?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koumyou_69

Reaction score
i was feeding yuki his meds and someone called and i looked away while pulling out the syringe and he ate it about 1/2 inch (might have been less) of the soft white plastice extention peice i tried to get it out of his mouth but it was already gone i know rabbits cant throw up so should i call the vet in the morning to tell them what happened? is there anything else i can do?

I would plan on calling the vet in the morning, but I wouldn't fret too much. I would be kind of surprised if your rabbit swallowed a piece big enough to cause problems. Rabbits normally chew their food really well so swallowing something large would be uncomfortable and unnatural to him. In fact, it is pretty scary to think of all the bits of carpet, cord, baseboard, shoe, etc that have come up missing after leaving a rabbit unsupervised. lol. But they are little destroyers and even if they do swallow that stuff, it is usually tiny pieces that are of little consequence to their systems in small amounts (provided there is nothing toxic ingested, of course).

And their systems are designed to handle roughage like hay, so indigestible matter is nothing new. My only concern would be if he bit it off in such a way that there is a sharp or jagged point that might perforate him internally.

If it were me, I would completely clean out his cage or litter box tonight, and monitor his pee and poop. If it keeps coming, that is good.

Another thing I would do is give some petromalt. I don't know if you have it on hand, but you will never catch me without it. It is a hairball remedy for cats, but if you get the malt flavor, the rabbits just LOVE it. It essentially lubricates the inside to help stuff pass and prevent blockage. If he did swallow a larger chunk, this would surely help it slide through easier.

Keep an eye on him to check for signs of pain or discomfort. If he flops on his belly in a way that is not normal for him, watch him and see if he gets up and lays down repeatedly. That would be a sign of belly discomfort.

He absolutely should see a vet asap if he acts uncomfortable.

If he grinds his teeth intensely then he is having major pain and you probably need to take him to an emergency vet.

If 24 hours passes and he is still peeing, pooping, eating and hopping around like normal, then you are probably in the clear.

But regardless of how normal he seems, I would call the vet as soon as they open and get their advice directly. If you bring in the syringe then the vet might be able to tell how big a piece is missing and can make a judgement then.

I am not a vet. I just have a rabbit. I have seen him through a few health scares. This is just what I would do if I were in your place. If anybody disagrees with any of this advice, then please correct me. I am open to learning as well.

I wouldn't worry to much. Just watch your rabbit closely. My rabbit has eaten part of a shoe and she didn't have any problems. Just give your rabbit extra hay to help push things through. I feel like rabbits have an iron stomach after all the things my rabbit has eaten.

Back