What Breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karnana3

Reaction score
we were told mr. Violet was a dwarf... and Mr. Peach could be a dwarf mix.
they both weigh 5-8 pounds i'd say...

summer07025.jpg

violet2006.jpg

wedding001.jpg

(this was taken when he was not quite a year old)

pup033.jpg

summer07020.jpg

pup012-1.jpg

Sorry, I dont have a clue - however, if they are 5-8 pounds they aren't dwarfs... I dont belive...

Someone will be along that is of more help soon.

Well quite honestly they look like your typical mutts.... and quite honestly, when people say 'dwarf' rabbits, that is a very good hint that they have no idea. Others with more experience might be able to give you a better idea of the possible mixes they might be.

MyBabyBunnies wrote:
Well quite honestly they look like your typical mutts.... and quite honestly, when people say 'dwarf' rabbits, that is a very good hint that they have no idea. Others with more experience might be able to give you a better idea of the possible mixes they might be.

I was just going to say that anytime I've asked what breed a mutt is at a petstore (just to be rotten) they say - Oh it's a dwarf breed! They have no clue!

I've also asked if a mini-lop would stay small since it's "mini" - oh yes!

The last photo of the creamy colored bunny looks like my Heidi - she's a palomino baby.... could be a mix......

That first photo sure looks like a Tan cross. It's not unusual for people who want to develop the Tan color in other breeds to cross them with Tans. From the photo, his body type and fur appear to be that of a Tan. The color is lacking the recessive wide band gene - hence the white rather than Tan belly. This would indicate a cross, since all purebred Tans are homozygous wide band.

The color appears to be blue otter (could be a lilac otter).

The color of the rabbit in the other photo is a black japanese harlequin. It could be a lop cross because it seems to have a short, thick, wide ear. It's stockier body type reminds me of a Holland Lop.

But - those are just guesses - hard to know what someone may have mixed together.

Pam

Nope, it doesn't hurt. I have 2 mutts as well and I asked the same question just because you can't help but be curious. ;)

I wonder if Mr. Violet could be a Silver Marten. I know therea few different colors black and chocolate are two but I can't remember the other. Silver Marten range from 6 - 9 lbs. I have a black Silver Marten and have seen the chocolate color.

Mr. Violet doesn't have the body type of a Silver Marten, nor the correctcolor. He's an otter (note the fawn coloring bordering his markings), adominant variety that does not exist in Silver Marten recessive gene pools.

Silver Marten varieties are black, blue, chocolate and sable.

Pam

WOW! How do you learn all of this stuff for ARBA? I don't alwalys catch some of the details like that. Yeah, I thought he looked like an otter but what sort of otter? I wouldn't have a clue - I'd go mini-rex cause that's what I know LOL! Actually, when you say he looks like a tan - then I see that!

He is adorable :)

Bo B Bunny wrote:
WOW! How do you learn all of this stuff for ARBA? I don't alwalys catch some of the details like that. Yeah, I thought he looked like an otter but what sort of otter? I wouldn't have a clue - I'd go mini-rex cause that's what I know LOL! Actually, when you say he looks like a tan - then I see that!

He is adorable :)

Studying genetics has helped me learn a lot about the genes and effects on the coat colors. I also have practical breeding experience and have done extensive studying to become an ARBA judge.

Here's a link to my coat color page:

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/coat_colors1.html

Looks like alilac orblue otter from the photo.

Pam

Yeah, 5-8 pounds is definatly not a dwarf, LOL. Petstores don't know squat. I had a lady tell me she got her rabbit from a petstore. The store told her it was a dwarf, so it wouldn't get any bigger than 25 pounds. :shock:

gentle giants wrote:
The store told her it was a dwarf, so it wouldn't get any bigger than 25 pounds. :shock:
:laugh:That's great... that covers almost every rabbit breed with the exception that it's probably possible for a Flemish to go over that weight in a few cases.

But seriously, when people say 'oh it's a dwarf' they general do not have the slightest clue. Mocha and Spice were supposed to be dwarf breeds, now they are 7-8 lbs. ;)

Then again, I've also had people tell me that lops were just uppy eared rabbits who's ears were not strong enough and would lop over. That was before I knew about rabbit breeds, LOL.

BlueSkyAcresRabbitry wrote:
The first one, the blue, looks like a Belgian Hare. And the second I'm not sure, but the color is Harlequin.

We've raised a few Hares (as well as Tans) - the first one bears no resemblance to a Hare (although Tans and Hares do have the same basic full arch body type, their individual breed type is very different). The Hares are far more finer boned, longer bonedand larger than the rabbit in the photo.

Pam

One of my son's Belgian Hares:

Heart.jpg

Thanks for the link! I love getting such good information!

I'm laughing about the uppy-eared rabbits not being able to hold their ears up LMAO! The stuff people say.

Latest posts

Back