What breed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyThieves

Reaction score
My dd and I were at the animal shelter yesterdayand saw this pretty girl. She's been there sinceMAY! We are considering bringing her home to add to ourlittle tribe of bunnies but we have to look into spaying costsfirst.

This is the picture from the website and it's not that good but cananyone give me a clue on her breed? She looks just like thepictures I've seen of Silver Foxes. The picture makes herlook more gray but she is VERY black with those pretty silvertips. I didn't hold her (if i did I don't think I could haveleft without her...) so I'm not sure if she has that fur that stands uplike Silvers' do. She's a good size, about 6--7 lbs, I'dguess.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

--Karen

silverfox.jpg

It's very difficult to tell - I'd need to see a better photo, but she resembles a steel in the photo.

Silver Fox are a rather large commercial breed weighing about 10 lbs.at maturity. The coat is long and soft - it will remainstanding when stroked from back to front.

Pam

"Steel" is a color variation that occurs in anumber of breeds. The ticking can sometimes look similar tosilvering. Silver is a color variation as well as a breedtype (Silver & Silver Fox).

Below is a photo that I took of a steel (to demonstrate the bellycolor). Steel rabbits come in a wide variety of colors, as doSilvers (although not many silver varieties are accepted for show.)

Can you get any clearer photos of the rabbit and a better description of the fur?

Pam

steelbelly.jpg

HappyThieves wrote:
We are considering bringing her home to add to our littletribe of bunnies but we have to look into spaying costsfirst.

Most shelters will not adopt out unaltered animals. So, it islikely she is already spayed, or will be before you bring herhome.

Our shelter adopts out spayed, microchipped buns for $50. Itused to be $25, but food costs are going up as they are keeping themlonger without euthenizing them.

The SPCA here only only routinely spays/neutersdogs and cats. I actually asked (more like begged).I explained that this rabbit has been in the shelter since May (andprobably longer than that because she was transferred there fromanother shelter) and thatI'd happily take her home but justcouldn't afford the $95 (plus the adoption fee) they want to charge mefor the spaying. I realize that $95 isn't outrageous for arabbit spay but it's more than I can justify right now. I'mnot done begging/bugging them yet, I know someone that works there somaybe there is a way around the cost....

missyscove wrote:
Most shelters will not adopt out unalteredanimals. So, it is likely she is already spayed, or will bebefore you bring her home.
Depends where you are. Last I checked, no rabbits are spayed orneutered here unless absolutely necessary (eg. an emergency c-section).Only the better and ones who are given better funds (like governmentfunding) normally spay or neuter.

Back