What breed is my bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalena2148

Reaction score
bun4.jpg

bun5.jpg

The shelter says he's a Dutch/Unknown mix and that he's lilac in colorw/ seal point markings. He's about 2.5-3.5lbs at 6 mnnths(butbigger than Drizzle...who's 1.5 and 4.5 lbs).

Was the shelter correct? How big do you think he'll get? Thanks!

He looks like a sable point. There's no suchthing as a lilac with seal point markings, they're completely differentcolours, if you have a look herehttp://www.amysrabbitranch.com/colors.htm

they have a pretty good list of colours with pics and you can see whati mean. I'm not sure about his breed though, it's quite possible he's adutch cross. He probably has a little bit longer to grow yet, thoughit's a bit confusing that he's bigger than drizzle yet lighter, do youhave an exact weight for him or just what the shelter told you?

Thanks for the reply, hellsmistress.

The shelter said about 3lbs so far. My scale at home is crap,so I can't weigh him here. I might bring him to the vet to get himweighed.

When I had him next to Drizzle (who is a Netherland Dwarf), this bunnywas skinny, but was a little...taller (his back arch was slightlyhigher and his ears are bigger). Drizzle is a very short, stocky,muscular bunny. This one seems thin and longer. Maybe hisears are throwing me off, but he seems longer to me. His face is alsolonger and leaner than Drizzles.

Ahh, now i see :Di just couldn't getthat for a min, which is dumb since i have Rexs and Nethies so i knowexactly what you're talking about. He's a very cute bunny, lol, but helooks quite a bit like a dutch to me, though i'll admit the lack ofdutch markings kinda throws me off balance a little :D

Chantel

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Aw, he's really pretty. I love the white nose andthose nice, big ears!
:DThank you. My husband thinks his ears look funny (andthat's another reason why he's worried he'll be big...plus Driz's earsare smaller and more proportioned) but I think it gives him character.He's the biggest sweetheart!

hellsmistress wrote:
he looks quite a bit like a dutch to me, though i'll admitthe lack of dutch markings kinda throws me off balance a little:D

Chantel
Chantel, Im no breeder, but I was telling Lalena that I thought maybethe white snip on the nose meant he could have some dutch in him (likemaybe a dutch/himi cross).

Does that sounds plausible to anyone?

Haley wrote:
hellsmistress wrote:
helooks quite a bit like a dutch to me, though i'll admit the lack ofdutch markings kinda throws me off balance a little :D

Chantel
Chantel, Im no breeder, but I was telling Lalena that I thought maybethe white snip on the nose meant he could have some dutch in him (likemaybe a dutch/himi cross).

Does that sounds plausible to anyone?
Hmm, your right, i didnt even notice that snip until youpointed it out *eye rolling* i can be so blind sometimes. It's verypossible that he's part dutch, dutch or new zealand crosses seem to bethe fashion nowdays.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
Maybe he's a Californian/Dutch mix.Dutchifornian? hee hee

Whatever he is, he's a pretty boy.

LOL! Dutchifornian. That's great.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Yeah, he's really cute. Even my husband is melting under hiscuteness...I can't believe he thought he was weird looking. Well, Iguess compared to Drizzle he is a little. After looking at sizecomparisons and photos, I think he probably is a Dutch/Himalayan mix.He seems too small to be part Californian. So, Dutchalayan? or a Hutch?:D

Hi color (sable point) isn't the same color asthe Californian or Himalayan (different genes). The Cal andHimi are a form of partial albinism and have white fur on the body andred eyes.

The gene that produces sable point is very common in HollandLops. The gene is also seen in Netherland Dwarfs.Many other breeds have it (but less commonly).

It's difficult to guess what he might be, especially from aphoto. Fur types vary by breed, so the texture and density ofthe coat are also clues as to the possible breed.

A mini rex mix is possible - the sable point color was just accepted inMini Rex. Mini Rex mixes often have very dense coats.

A Dutch mix is possible, but the "vienna" (blue eyed white) gene also causes white snips and dutch-like markings.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Hicolor (sable point) isn't the same color as the Californian orHimalayan (different genes). The Cal and Himi are a form ofpartial albinism and have white fur on the body and red eyes.

The gene that produces sable point is very common in HollandLops. The gene is also seen in Netherland Dwarfs.Many other breeds have it (but less commonly).

It's difficult to guess what he might be, especially from aphoto. Fur types vary by breed, so the texture and density ofthe coat are also clues as to the possible breed.

A mini rex mix is possible - the sable point color was just accepted inMini Rex. Mini Rex mixes often have very dense coats.

A Dutch mix is possible, but the "vienna" (blue eyed white) gene also causes white snips and dutch-like markings.

Pam
Thanks for the info, Pam!

His eyes are blue on the outside, red in the middle. His furseems not as thick as Drizzle's (Netherland Dwarf)...shorter/thinner Iguess, but doesn't feel velvety like a rex. He's not sheddingas much as Drizzle either.

From the description of his eyes, he sounds likethere is a blue eyed white rabbit mixed in rather than Dutch.This color can be found in many breeds, but I more commonly see it inPolish, Netherland Dwarfs, occasionally Holland Lops, and more recentlyaccepted in Mini Rex.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
From the description of his eyes, he sounds like there is ablue eyed white rabbit mixed in rather than Dutch. This colorcan be found in many breeds, but I more commonly see it in Polish,Netherland Dwarfs, occasionally Holland Lops, and more recentlyaccepted in Mini Rex.

Pam
Thanks again Pam! You're always so helpful :)

So, I guess either way, or any of these breeds, he'll stay pretty reasonably sized which is a good thing! :bunnydance:

I limited my guesses to the smaller breeds, because he's approx. 3 lbs. at 6 months, so he's not likely to grow much more.

Pam

Back