What breed are my bunnies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmh9023

Reaction score
I've always called Sherry and Button both Dwarf mixes, but I thought I'd check with the experts :)

When I got Button, his card at the shelter said he was a Netherland Dwarf but when I've seen pictures of show Neth. Dwarfs their faces look real flat with very short ears. What do you think?

Button (He's just barely 2 lbs):

Button2.jpg

Pets007.jpg

I can't remember what Sherry was listed as, but do you think she could be a Polish?

Sherry (She's 2 1/2 lbs):

SHERRY.jpg

SherryButton2-1.jpg

Thanks!

Cara

CUTE!

I agree that Button is a nethie, and I am inclined to say that about Sherry too.

Sherry could be a mix, but she looks like a nethie a breeder might have bred that is not 'good enough', i.e., a slightly pointy nose. Also, the ears are bigge than desired, but that happens with heat (as bunnies ears grow more if it is hotter when they are little), so it could be that she is of full nethie parentage, but a bit 'mishapen'. Also, she is a small weight too, which also indicates a small breed, so even if she is a mix, it will be with another small breed rabbit.

Buttons looks almost exactly like a blue version of Mocha. I was told that Mocha is a Polish, and she does look quite a bit like the Polish I saw at the ARBA show I went to. I checked, and it looks like blue is an allowable color for Polish.

Sherry looks like the Polish I saw at the 4H show at the county fair. A little longer face and ears but still small.

So I think they're both Polish!:D

Not all nethies are perfect,. 2 1/2 lbs is about max for a nethie. ( show wise anyway)But if they get fed well and get lazy they can be more lol my biggest was 1.7 kg at one point but he went down to 1.3 near the end.

What ages are they that will give a better idea

Very cute though:inlove:

polly wrote:
Not all nethies are perfect,. 2 1/2 lbs is about max for a nethie. ( show wise anyway)But if they get fed well and get lazy they can be more lol my biggest was 1.7 kg at one point but he went down to 1.3 near the end.
lol, mine certainly aren't perfect. My heaviest was 1.8, but he is on a diet.

Sherry is approximately 6 1/2 yrs and Button is approximately 4 yrs. I hadn't realized Sherry was that old until I just figured it out based on when I got her. My oldest bun only lived to be 7 so that makes me kind of worried :(although I know its possible for them to live much longer than that....right??

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! No matter what breed their breedsare I sure do luv 'em!! :)

I would say Def both nethies maybe a bit of a mix in Sherrie I had a client who had a nethie who lived till it was 12 i have also heard of 1 that lived till it was 17 lol that was a brill age so you could have loads of time with them. Just enjoy them, they are very beautiful and look really good for their ages

Cara, I usually hear that rabbits live 7-10 years but I see more and more older rabbits when they are well-cared for like yours are. An older member here (rabbitgirl, hasn't been on for ages) lives in Northern Wisconsin and has outdoor bunnies. She had a Nethie that lived to 13.

Yup, they can certainly live a long happy life. We had a nethie that was euthanised one month before he was going to be 12.

Try not to worry about losing her because you won't enjoy the time you spend with her, just appreciate the time you get :)

Back