What are these "weeds"? and are they safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueCamasRabbitry

Reaction score
So I have these "weeds" (i guess?) that grow under my tall Fir tree and I want to know if they're safe for the bunnies to eat, as we have tons and it looks like it would be great to add to their grass, but I'm not sure if it's safe or not?

When my sister had Sage out on the leash/harness, Sage was nibbling at some of the "weeds".

So here are the pictures. Does anyone know what these plants are called?

sheepies009.jpg

sheepies010.jpg

sheepies011.jpg

I think this one ^^ is the honeysuckle plants...are those ok for bunnies? We have like no clover in our yard, so we can't feed them some of that...

Which is kind of why I'm wondering if this is ok for bunnies?

Emily

Honeysuckle berries are toxic acording to medi-rabbit

Icannot identify the "weeds" without names so I can't look it up.

Possibly someone else on the foum will recognize the plants.
I wouldn't feed any of it it until we get names

It looks like it could be new leaves and young growth to me, so not sure what it is or could be.

I wonder if in a few weeks if they start growing more, maybe then you might be able to identify it? Or does it all stay that size?

Yeah, to me they look like seeds that have just germinated so they don't have their "true" leaves yet--the early leaves are similar in many different species of plants so it will be easier to identify the plants once the true leaves have come in.

Not sure what it could be, sorry, the pictures are not really clear enough.
Can you get some better ones? Or even a good description would help.
Do they have flowers? What size, what colour, how many petals, etc? How are the leaves arranged on the plant, what do they look like?
Do they grow in sun or in shade? (I'm guessing shade, if it's under a pine tree?)

Do they look like this?
File:Claytonia_perfoliata_basal_leaves_2003-02-04.jpg

File:Claytonia_perfoliata_basal_leaves_2003-02-04.jpg
3245009778_ca0c4fede7.jpg

or this:
minerslettuce10.jpg

Like I already said, that's as big as they get. They're finished growing. That's as grown up as they get - I know because these plants have grown before. The only thing I don't know is what they are.

Hazel-Mom, I can't see the first three pictures. And the the plants in the last picture look nothing like the plants ;)

Emily

Emily, if you can describe the plants a bit more, it might help. Do they have little white flowers? (I think I can see some in your first pictures). Do the leaves look like "arrows" first, and then like a small "dish" around the flowers?

If so, the weeds are "miner's lettuce" (from your 2 first pictures, I think that's what they are, but the pictures are not quite clear enough).

If it is "miner's lettuce" (Claytonia perfoliata), they are safe to eat, both for you and the bunnies. They may or may not like them, Hazel wasn't very impressed with the ones we let her try.

HazelMom: Just curious but where do you get all your info on plants? You seem to have such a vast knowledge!!!! I too have several weeds and plants that I know nothing about but would like to look up.

sephira wrote:
HazelMom: Just curious but where do you get all your info on plants? You seem to have such a vast knowledge!!!! I too have several weeds and plants that I know nothing about but would like to look up.
I am just naturally curious, and have always wanted to know what I was looking at :).
If I encounter a plant, animal, or rock (yes, I'm a "rockhound" too) that I don't know, I look it up. Since both my husband and me have a background in science (geology and chemistry resp., but interest in biology, physics, etc.), we have lots of reference books lying around at home.
Plus I love researching things, on-line and off. Also, through my husbands work at the university, I have access to a huge library, and people from biology and botany departments etc.

And since finding Hazel 6 years ago, I've been researching all sorts of edible plants to grow in my garden :)

Hazel-Mom wrote:
Emily, if you can describe the plants a bit more, it might help. Do they have little white flowers? (I think I can see some in your first pictures). Do the leaves look like "arrows" first, and then like a small "dish" around the flowers?

If so, the weeds are "miner's lettuce" (from your 2 first pictures, I think that's what they are, but the pictures are not quite clear enough).

If it is "miner's lettuce" (Claytonia perfoliata), they are safe to eat, both for you and the bunnies. They may or may not like them, Hazel wasn't very impressed with the ones we let her try.

I will look tomorrow. I'll also get some more pictures, and try to get clearer, closer up ones. ;)

They don't have white flowers, I know that. It's just green plant. I will look up miner's lettuce on google and see if it looks like the plants in my yard. :)

Emily

Hazel-Mom wrote:
sephira wrote:
I am just naturally curious, and have always wanted to know what I was looking at :).
If I encounter a plant, animal, or rock (yes, I'm a "rockhound" too) that I don't know, I look it up. Since both my husband and me have a background in science (geology and chemistry resp., but interest in biology, physics, etc.), we have lots of reference books lying around at home.
Plus I love researching things, on-line and off. Also, through my husbands work at the university, I have access to a huge library, and people from biology and botany departments etc.

And since finding Hazel 6 years ago, I've been researching all sorts of edible plants to grow in my garden :)

Lucky you to have such valuable resources at hand!!!! Thanks for the response, too!!!

Latest posts

Back