What are Cecal Pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovetoeatchocolate

Reaction score
I am reading the House Rabbit Handbook and in the handbook they have an article about overweight rabbits. About how it is difficult to reach their cecal pellets and clean themselves if they are obese. What are cecal pellets?

Shannon

Thanks for the description! I read the article that you put up as a link.

So the lady that I am getting my rabbit from, she says he gets diarea. So that might even be the cecotropes then. I hope that he gets to eat them and she doesn't clean it up right away!

Yeah I hope they're cecals too. Diarrhea can be bad stuff for a bunny. I'd get him to a vet as soon as you get him, and make sure both that he's not sick and his diet is good.

How old is this bunny, a baby?
Diarrhea is bad for babies. Cecals, as you might have read in the article look like tiny group of grapes. I would be concerned for the bunny if it has diarrhea. I wouldn't want to deal with major health issues that might arise for you if taking this bun. Although, I do think the owner at this time should be educated that diarrhea isn't good at all and can be life threatening to the buns if left untreated.

I am already quite attatched to this rabbit so it is too late! It is bunny love! I am willing to do whatever I can to care for it. If you read some of my other posts you will see that it has been sitting in this tiny cage with no free run of the house. The cage is in the daughters room where the door is always closed to keep it away from the dog. The daughter only visits her mom's house once a week so I can't imagine the lonliness this rabbit maybe feeling.

The rabbit is 5 years old. The owner says that the diahrea happens when he eats certain foods, like spinach etc. He will be taken to the vet as soon as I get him. Then hopefully we can develop some trust. I am sure that it will be alright.

Okay, so definitely not a baby, shoo.

Did you just get the bun recently? I know alot of times, just the change in environments can give bunnies mushy poos, not necessarily diarrhea. Maybe that's what it is?

Latest posts

Back