We're grand parents!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PegHill

Reaction score
Fluffy had a litter of four lastnight. Everyone is well. Her normal habatat is thefront porch (12 by 24) which is 99 % enclosed by a bushyhedge. She comes in the house during the afternoonsandis in her cage at night on the porch (weatherpermitting). I've been keeping Fluffy in her cage as the duedate was approaching.

We are having highs of mid 60's and lows of mid 40swith norain. She has the kits in a nest of hay with her own fur coveringthem. Now that the little ones are here, should I leave themwhere they are or move them into the house?

Thanks,

Congrats!

Does mom run around on the porch when shes not in her cage? My advicewould be to be very very careful if the only protecting her frompredators is a hedge. A cat or other animal could easily get in there.

For the babies, I would just make sure to keep them with mom, wherevershe is most comfortable. I wouldnt worry about the temps in florida,they should be fine.

Im sure the breeders will come along with some more ideas...:D

I'm not 100% sure I follow this. Are the kits ina cage? Or did she make a nest elsewhere in her habitat? How safe isher habitat - I'm more concerned about snakes in FL than anything elseright off (my mom had snakes sneak into her house - I forget howthough).

I'm guessing she probably made her nest in a place she considerssafe....but it would help if I had a better understanding of where thekits are and if she's locked in a cage with them or what..

Peg

Hi y'all. Mom and kits are in thecage. It's on legs. The bottom is about a foot anda half off the porch. The porch itself is about 2 and a halffeet above ground. It's actually a deck. The cageis snake (and other predator) proof. I wanted them to besafe. Hubby is a snake person and built the cages to guardagainst them. He feels pretty comfortable that snakes are nottoo much of a problem. The momma, Fluffy, does like her time playingloose on the front porch, but likes her cage, too. Last nightshe acted like she was gaurding her nest. Today, she usedherself to cover the kits when I came out.

I'm mainly worried about the temps for the babies. I did readsomewhere about protecting from dampness. We do lightlycovereach cage with a small tarp at night (three sides andthe top) to protect from the nightly dew. The adults seemwell with it, but I'm still learning about the lil ones.

They should be fine where they are as far astemperature is concerned. Mama will make sure they stay covered ifshe's a good mama (which I assume she is).

I will say that here in TX, we've had snakes slither up and get rabbitsout of nests sometimes. I don't want to scare you...just pointing outthat you may want to consider this. I think some have put chicken wireor something around the cage - I don't remember as it was on anotherforum and my rabbits are indoors so I didn't really follow thediscussion.

Your rabbits are probably fine - I'm just sharing a "worst case" scenario of the only danger I can think of.

Your babies will probably do fine!

Peg

If you have 3 or more kits and momma has pulledplenty of fur they should be fine with the protection of the bush andporch. Sounds like momma is doing great with thebabies! Another two weeks and she will be trying to get awayfrom them!@:):)

Latest posts

Back