Well it just figures!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmmcnair

Reaction score
Well, pooh on me. I just found ascrotum on Lexi!!! Now is this crazy or what? Lexiis one of my Californians. I was told by the breeder andchecked myself that he was a she!!! I guess not!Any way...I am now worried about Jenna. She is definitely agirl! The thing is, Jenna and Lexi (now Lex) have been housedtogether since3 the middle of August. I moved Jenna intoElla's old hutch about 3 or so weeks ago.

Could Jenna be pregnant? She has been acting verystand-offish. I don't know if it is because she was separatedfrom Lex or if she could be pregnant.

And when do the testicles drop and/or the scrotum appear on a malebun? Ozzy doesn't have the scrotum yet, that I can see anyway.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I tried feeling her tummy, but Idon't feel anything, or if I am I can't tell. What should Ido? She's not pulling any fur that I can tell...oh boy!

Thanks for any help/advise anything!

Dawn

PS I just can't believe it happened again!!! First Susan, now Lexi! I wonder if Ozzy really is a boy?

How old are they Dawn?? The earliest they become?'lethal' is 12 weeks.

The testicles show up around 2 months or?later?depending upon thesexual maturity.? Temperatures can have an effect on them as well.?ttp://www.debmark.com/rabbits/sexing.htm?orhttp://islandgems.net/sexing.html

Is my rabbit pregnant??http://islandgems.net/palpating.html?At about 10 days to 2 weeks from the time of breeding, you can start tofeel something like marbels in their abdomen, but some rabbits areharder to determine than others.

-Carolyn

I checked out the sites, Carolyn, and I triedpalpating her as per the site, and I don't feel anything, but thenagain they have been separated now for about 3 weeks. Theyshould be about 5 months old, maybe 6 months.

I should have seen that he was a boy awhile ago, but honestly I haven'tbeen very hands on with the Californians because they really hate beingpicked up. I wrap them to trim their nails and I really neverlooked that hard.

Should I just go ahead and put in a nest box, just in case? Ireally don't want to lose any more babies. I am worried abouthow she is acting. She used to at least come up to the doorwhen I opened it, so she could get a rub, or get a treat. Buteven with a treat, she runs away. All body functions arenormal, and intake of food is normal. Neither one of theCalifornians are eating their hay though. Actually, Bubbareally isn't either. The only ones that are munching on hayare Madi, Ella, and Ozzy. I think it has to be theheat/humidity.

Dawn

You really should wait until around the 27th day of their gestationperiod before you put in the nestbox. If it's there too soon, she mightuse it as a bathroom. You want the doe to have the box in time to getused to it and build a nest in it, but not too soon.

In warm weather, keep the nesting material slight because too much cancuase overheating of the litter. You might consider using an all wirenest box if it's really hot where you are so that there's ventilation.

Sometimes the babies aren't easy to feel in the does belly. I'd err onthe side that she was pregnant because if she is, you're ready.

Oh My! What luck you have, My Friend!

-Carolyn

P.S. Sometimes in extremely hot climates, it can have an effect on thebuck's ability to impregnate a doe. You might be okay. She alsocould've turned him down. Hard to say what happened, but best to beready.

It seems that my animals get pregnant as easy as I do (hence the three children two of which are both in diapers yet!!!:?)

Well I will go ahead and put in a nest box, and hope that she did turn him down or that he is sterile.

I want babies, I just want them when I plan them. This surprise stuff is just too much for me!!!

I will make a wire nest box. It is hot hot hot!!!

Thanks for your advise and knowledge Carolyn. I will let youknow. How the heck am I gonna know when to put the nest boxin???? I have no idea when they could have done the deed!!!:shock:

Oh Lord, I have a headache!!! She has a box she sleeps in, do you think she will start lining that?

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

You say that the two have been separated for 3 weeks?Assuming that she became pregnant about that time, I'd say put thenestbox in about a week before her due date. You might wantto wait another 5-7 days. Some, not all,doesstart pulling their fur from their bellies days before they are due;that said,they also will do this in a false pregnancy aswell.

Put the nestbox in the opposite corner of the bathroom inhercage. Make sure that she doesn't use the nestbox as abathroom.

As to theheat and how itimpacts thebuck,this was stated by Rick Stahl on The RabbitWeb: "Heat can pose a ferility problem in males ofall species. With rabbits there is a "rule of thumb" of 3 days ofgreater than 85 F. This is advisory and not a definite, can be lowertemp, greater temp, less than 3 days, more than 3 days, any combinationof those or none of the above. But during extremely high temps it CANoccur. The heat can damage all or some of the sperm stored by the buck,which can cause some degree of sterility. By keeping bucks cool theCHANCES of this happening are greatly reduced.

Recovery time is subjective, depending upon the buck and whether or nothe is bred. The more he ejactulates the sooner any damaged sperm willbe replaced. The "sterility" is not a permanent thing, doesn't involvethe buck's ability to produce sperm, only damages stored sperm. Buckscan produce millions of sperm daily so the more used the sooner any"blanks" will be replaced with "live rounds"

-Carolyn

Thanks for the info Carolyn. I wonderif the sperm dies even if the buns have their frozen water bottles andfans on them? Since it is so hot they get both.Well, I guess we will see.

I built her a nest box today, with a wire bottom. I did apretty good job if I do say so myself. If she does have kitsI will have to build some new cages!!!

So...anyone want a baby bunny? ;)

Dawn

Hi Dawn,

Also from Rick Stahl: "Any "hot weather depression"is due to heat sterility, it is indeed the bucks, high temps candestroy some or all the sperm stored in the bucks' scrotums. Lowerednumber of viable sperm is what causes any "depressions" during hotweather., if there aren't enough viable sperm to cause conception thenthere is complete sterility- no litters, if it's just a lowered viablesperm count then you get litters but they'll often have less kits hannormal. It can occur in males of all species, human maes areadvised notto wear Jocky type shorts to allow lower temperature for storedsperm." You might wish to check out the thread in the RabbitWeb:http://rabbit.lyrical.net/viewtopic.php?t=2676&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's not a given that they'll be sterile, but I thought it was something worth mentioning.

I think you're very wise to be safe rather thansorry. It doesn't surprise me a bit that you did a lovely jobon the nestbox. Good Job,Dawn!

-Carolyn

dmmcnair wrote:
Itseems that my animals get pregnant as easy as I do (hence the threechildren two of which are both in diapers yet!!!:?)

Ha ha ha ha - sorry I had to reply it sounds just like in my house. Ihad me and mydaisygiving birth within 3 days ofeach other and 30 days before that she had another.

We thought Buster was a girl tooand didn't get them seperateduntil it was too late and she got caught again just after the firstlitter was born.......... ah I miss baby bunnies, but I think I willleave it to stories and pictures of babieson here beforeI have more.

Hope everything goes ok if she is pregnant!!! :D

Vickie

Well, I am really hoping for sterility, fornow. Now I am worried about Bubba, since I was thinking ofbreeding him....but that won't be until spring. I guess he'sgonna have a lot of fun getting those bad sperm out to let the goodsperm in!:p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vicky, thanks. If she is expecting, I hope all goes well andthe kits are healthy. I'm headed for the store to stock up onnutrical and ivermectrin and formula, just in case. I wouldreally love babies, but darn it, I can't handle any more babysurprises. All of my children were surprises :shock:,wonderful surprises of course, but surprises nonetheless(that's why 2 are in diapers and only 18 months apart).

For once I want a plannedpregnancy!!!

I will let you know if there are babbies...about a week and a half?????maybe.

Dawn

Carolyn....Just an update on Jenna's pregnancy....there wasn't one! No babies!!!:?

I'm happy, because I don't have any room for babies, but sad too, andnowI am making room for 4H buns, so I guess I'll get babiesanyway!!! If I can get some...not having a lot of luck :(.

Anyway...Thanks for all the advice and info...believe you me, when the4H buns are breeding, I will be back with more questions and pics.

Dawn

Between bluebird, Dwarf_Angel04, Pamnock, andothers like Gabby, m.e., and others, they'll be more help with thebabies than I could be, but I'll do what I can.

I'm glad it was a false pregnancy. I know you would've welcomed thebabies with open arms, but it's best when you can plan it and are ready.

Keep us posted with the 4H project! We'll all be interested in hearing about that endeavor.

:)

-Carolyn

Are you certain that what you are seeing is a male's scrotum and not the scent glands (present in both males and females)?

Pam

dmmcnair wrote:
Well, pooh on me. I just found a scrotum onLexi!!! Now is this crazy or what? Lexi is one ofmy Californians. I was told by the breeder and checked myselfthat he was a she!!! I guess not! Any way...I amnow worried about Jenna. She is definitely a girl!The thing is, Jenna and Lexi (now Lex) have been housed together since3the middle of August. I moved Jenna into Ella's old hutchabout 3 or so weeks ago.

Could Jenna be pregnant? She has been acting verystand-offish. I don't know if it is because she was separatedfrom Lex or if she could be pregnant.

And when do the testicles drop and/or the scrotum appear on a malebun? Ozzy doesn't have the scrotum yet, that I can see anyway.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I tried feeling her tummy, but Idon't feel anything, or if I am I can't tell. What should Ido? She's not pulling any fur that I can tell...oh boy!

Thanks for any help/advise anything!

Dawn

PS I just can't believe it happened again!!! First Susan, now Lexi! I wonder if Ozzy really is a boy?
whats a scrotum? ? ?

I'm positive that Lexi is now Lex. Theyhave dropped and are pretty much there if you are looking at him frombehind. I've checked a few times just to be sure! :?

I finally found someone willing to sell some rabbits!!! He'sasking an arm and a leg though...any tips on what to lookfor? I know what the teeth are supposed to look like and thatif you cup a hand into a C and run it over the back and down the rumpit should get bigger. And of course checking for runny nosesand eyes. Anything else? He has some does he iswilling to part with, but they have never been bred before, and theywill be about 6 or 7 months when it is time to breed them for the showin March. I am trying to get the new cages done beforetomorrow, just in case...it isn't working...that's what I get forprocrastinating. Maybe I should just buy some ready-madecages. It would sure take some stress off of me and the hubby:p I make him cut the wire ;)

Anyway....I'll let you know...Justin is getting excited, but I thinkI'm more excited than him...I may get some mini lops to show myself,we'll see.

Dawn

I have a showmanship checklist on my site thatalso serves as a health checklist.http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

It's hard to explain to someone what a "good" rabbit should look likewithout actually being able to play "show and tell" and comparerabbits. Ask to see the breeders show animals so he/she cantell you about the faults on the sale rabbits. When you'veseen a number of them, you'll be able to tell the "good, the bad andthe ugly."

Pam

Latest posts

Back