Weird, random spasms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole_Lucky

Reaction score
Bit of an awkward situation, but I just noticed Lucky was almost-violently twitching, as if he were...ahem...in heat? (like he's trying to hump someone thats not there..) On top of that, he licks...or does something to himself around his...genital area after the hump-attack...Am I over-exaggerating an itch, or is this actually hormaonally related?

Concerned,

Nicole

yep, I'm betting it's hormones. Someone might know more aboutthese little boy things as I had my first one neutered the minute his little testiculars came into view!

I can't tell you what to do, but if you aren't breeding or showing - I'd neuter him. He'll be much nicer, happier and healthier. If Tony weren't being shown I would neuter him immediately! I just think it makes better pets. Plus you don't have to worry about him getting a doe preggers or anything if he's around one.

Does do get cancer easier but I think there is some health issue with males too - not sure.

Im not surprised. He hasnt been aggressive as of yet, in fact he's extremely calm and approachable, considering he's almost 3 years old, and not neutered. However, if this is going to cost any health problems, it would definetly be worthwhile to get him neutered. I will defineltly look into the risk factors. Thanks for the advice!

Hi,

Please get him neutered. We have a male...Dusty... that came in with testicular cancer. He was in horrible health. We put him ona very aggressive support protocol and performed a risky surgery (based on his condition) to remove the cancer. He survived and today is a very happy and healthy rabbit.

Randy

I would agree that he should be neutered, and I have another reason to add on top of the health issues. For an adult male that is not being bred.... Well, there have to be certain frustrations there, if you know what I mean. I would think it would be less stressful on him in general if those "frustrations" were surgically removed. ;)

Awsome, thanks so much for your advice. Phinnsmommy, I looked through the link, and it says "Unneutered male rabbits spray, and both males and females are much easier to litter train.." What does it mean by "spray?" Is it to urinate on...?

Yep, spraying is a marking technique that is pretty much what is sounds like!

They 'spray' pee onto something to mark it. Some people have even been sprayed in the face!

Thhey often do a little dig, then a wiggle and spray an arc of urine around, to mark their territory. Just today my tudry boy Angel shot in my mouth. It's not pleasant.

BlueGiants wrote:
:laugh:

Sorry Flashy! I've been on the recieving end of that too and it's not pretty... but it is funny!

I agree, it's definitely funny...when it happens to others.

I have to be honest, in the eye is worse though because if you can't see, all you can do is stand and call for help, whilst still getting sprayed, lol. I used to have to wear goggles when If rist got Badger (seriously)

I had an 11 year old who still made an effort to spray, although it was rather a dribble.

We have lots of unneutered bucks and does here so it's a bit different, they start to spray as soon as they are odl enough (and one hasn't stopped despite being neutered in July). Some start at other ages depending on the environment, cirucumstances, etc.

On average, bucks start spraying around 5 -6 months of age. (maybe a little older, maybe a little younger.) Older Bucks that have never sprayed may start if a new rabbit is introduced to the environment. Neutering (especially before the start) usually prevents the problem. And if it's any consolation, if they spray you, it usually means they are claiming you as theirs... they love you.
Not all bucks spray, but if they do it's not pleasant. :foreheadsmack: (You're right... the eyes are much worse!).

I have to say, none of my Flemish bucks spray.... can't say the same for a couple of the Mini Rex! LOL! So they get lower cages (not as high as my head!). Guess the Flemish are just more secure in their "masculinity". No need to prove anything! :roflmao:

Haha!

Some male rabbits don't spray, but there will still be some other problems, with him being not neutered.

Based on his age, I would call up one of he vets from our Rabbit Savvy Vets, and talk it over with them.

Its a very easy procedure, he will probably recover in a day or two after.

Good luck, and any questions or comments, feel free to post!

Thanks so much for your advice evryone, I really appreciate it! I will definetly look into finding a reputable vet in my area. By the way, "Blue Giants," thats a beautiful bun in your display pic! Happy holidays everyone!

Latest posts

Back