Weight Loss

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saffy

Reaction score
9 Ladies Stone Circle - Derbyshire, , United King
I've nosed on the forum but can't find anything that will fit in with my question so ... here goes :

I have a Netherland Dwarf (Ben) who lives with his bonded love Mookie (Mini Lop) .. Have noticed in the last few weeks that Mookie has been losing weight ... we always used to make fun of her as she used to look like a huge puff ball because of her heavy fur coat ...

Took her to the vets a couple of weeks ago and she had her teeth trimmed and seems to be eating fine.

The only thing I can think of is Benji is being a PIG and eating most of the food as he looks like a fat little chicken with ears when he's sat down.

Someone mentioned she may have worms, but I havent seen any sign in any of the toleys in the litter tray ..

Any ideas anyone?

Yeah, how long have they been bonded? Perhaps her bondmate is eating all her food?

Can you get a fecal test done by your vet to confirm if there are parasites in her?

Do you know exactly how much weight she's lost? Fur is sometimes very misleading because condition of the coat can change.

I'm going to shut Benji in the run tonight when I feed them for half an hour so she can have first dabs !

Will ask about the test ...

Someone on another forum mention worms so I got some Panacur but I don't really want to use it unless she has them.

If one is losing while the other is gaining, I would think it's an issue of the chubby one being a hog, especially if Mookie is acting normal other than the weight loss.

Keep an eye on it, definitely. If it continues or you notice they are both getting their proper amounts of food, I'd take her in for further investigation.

I agree that separating them during feeding, at least of pellets, may help. Panacur is pretty well tolerated, I think, with very few adverse reactions, so a de-worming course wouldn't hurt. Also her teeth may have been hurting her which made her eat less and now that they're fixed it's just taking a while for her to regain the weight. Definitely keep a close eye on it, though. Is she spayed? General loss of body condition can be a sign of a lot of things, so it's best to rule out the simple reasons first before worrying about the more difficult ones.

Back