(Weight loss) I don't know whats going on.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
At the begining of summer, I started going to my cottage. I left babii behind (like most of you warned) because the raccoons and they really odd weather. (it rained 72 hours straight this weekend and then when we left it was +30)

While we were gone Babii was left under the care of my brother. Who said he would feed her, and give her water and that was it. So we had to cut our vacations short so I could clean the cage and give her some time out.

Anyways.

I've noticed Babii lost alot of weight and it's kind of gross. I can feel her ribs and all..

I'm trying not to think about it but I think that while I was gone, my brother din't feed her at all.:?

I came home from the cottage today, I left thursday and her food bowl was full to the top same with her water. Today her water bowl was dry, and her food bowl had nothing in it (not even the red peices of food she don't like out of the mix i buy her) and this really makes me sad because I love Babii , well.. shes my baby so to speak.

Is there anythingI can do for her ?. I heard someone said cheerio's .. is that it ? because Babii was once (2 months ago) a overweight bunny. I loved it , but now shes.. fur.

Slowly start building her weight back up on the pellets. Maybe you can get some NutriCal into her?

I would highly consider switching Babii off of a pet store rabbit food mix. Rabbit food should be just pellets, no colored bits at all.

I mentioned cheerios on another thread (with lots of precautions) because it is a trick that many breeders will use to help a rabbit put on weight.

In the case where I recommended it - the rabbit was sick from something else - was eating its pellets - and needed something extra.

In your rabbits case - I would not recommend cheerios. Here's why.

• Your rabbit needs to be on a good quality pellet - not the stuff sold in the pet stores which has colored bits and pieces in it. You need a good basic pellet.
  • You can help her put on more weight by giving her some alfalfa hay. I don't recommend this long term - but I have had rabbits put on some weight w/ alfalfa if they've been ill or dropped weight. I know Pet Bunny talked about using this with Pebbles in another thread.
  • I would give her some Nutrical (you can get a tube from the vet for about $10 I think). This has stuff in it to stimulate her appetite and I think it has vitamins too? I don't remember how big your rabbit is - I give my lionheads about 1 cc of it. I once measured 1 cc in a syringe and then put it on my finger - it was about the size of a pea if I remember right. Maybe a bit larger...
You really need to confront your brother and find out if she was being fed. I'm actually going to move this thread to the infirmary section too because if she was not being fed - there are things that can happen to slow down her gut - I'm not talking GI Stasis - I forget what it is called - but when I had a doe that didn't eat for several days - Randy (ra7751) and I discussed how her gut might be messed up and how I needed to go slowly with hay at first to get her eating and making poops.

If she was being fed - or even if she wasn't - I highly recommend a vet visit.

Once again - my recommendation about cheerios was NOT a blanket recommendation for every situation. It was for a rabbit that was already eating pellets and needed a few more calories to put on weight. In your case - it doesn't sound like your rabbit has been eating the pellets.

Increasing feed and adding a small amount of rolled oats is a safe way to slowly get her back up to weight.

Pam

Latest posts

Back