weaning babies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kookookachoo221

Reaction score
I havea few ?'s about weaning baby bunnies. I am knew at breedingbunnies and dont know much about when and how to wean a bunny. If youwould beable to provide any information, that would begreat!!!

kookookachoo

kookookachoo221 wrote:
I have a few ?'sabout weaning baby bunnies. I am knew at breeding bunnies anddont know much about when and how to wean a bunny. If you would beableto provide any information, that would be great!!!

kookookachoo
I'm pretty new to breeding aswell, but through reserch I've read that kits can be weaned from 6 to 8weeks old. If it's a large litter (over four) you might consider takingtwo babies the first day then one baby a day until theyre all weaned.This is supposed to ease the transition for the mother. Ifyou take them all at once she'll still produce milk with no where forit to go and that's uncomfortable for her. Personally I'd wean themgradually at 8 weeks. It's supposed to be better for the mama and babythat way. Hope this helps.

Lanna

Thank you, that did help! Also, when the babybuns are born do you have to take out the babies or will the mom try tohurt them or something. Because I read that the dad cant be in the cagebut is that the same with the mom?

kookookachoo

kookookachoo221 wrote:
Thank you, that did help! Also, when the baby buns are borndo you have to take out the babies or will the mom try to hurt them orsomething. Because I read that the dad cant be in the cage but is thatthe same with the mom?

kookookachoo
Youre very welcome. I didnttake the babies out although I know there are breeders that do. Rightafter theyre born you should check the babies. (make sure you haventhandled another bunny or wash your hands and pet the mom to get herscent on your hands) If any are dead remove them from the nest box.What type of rabbits are you breeding? With some breeds like NetherlandDwarfs there are other things you need to look for too. The mom shouldnot hurt her babies unless she's upset or stressed out. But, somebunnies just arent good mommies.

Lanna

Unfortunately I dont know much about HollandLops. I mentioned "other things" because with netherland dwarfs there'sa 25% chance of having a peanut. (peanuts inherit a double dwarf genethat is fatal) Hopefully someone that knows more about Holland Lops canhelp you with genetic problems like that.

Lanna

Holland lops may also have peanut babies they aresmaller than the other babies and have protruding eyes and they usuallydie in a few days.bluebird

Holland lops may also have peanut babiesthey are smaller than the other babies and have protruding eyes andthey usually die in a few days.bluebird

When you have peanut babiesdo you just wait for them to die and then get rid ofthem?

Each breeder has their own individual way of how they deal with Peanuts.

When a peanut is born, it's inevitable that their lives are short livedand will occur either within minutes to days, and I've heard of a fewliving up to 3 weeks... but the outcome is always the same.

At birth, I give them to my dad for his gopher snake.

SunnieBunnie Rabbitry wrote:
At birth, I give them to my dad for his gopher snake.
How sad.:(But you got to dowhat you got to do! And that way you dont have to wait for them to passon and you just get it over when they are reallyyoung.

kookookachoo

Weaning: if you have a big litter mom starts biting and running when kits nurse after a certain age.

My does took care of it all by themselves. One was so fed up with getting bit,she weaned at 3 wks.! :shock::shock:

Rose

rabbitgirl wrote:
Weaning: if you have a big litter mom starts biting andrunning when kits nurse after a certain age.

My does took care of it all by themselves. One was so fed up with getting bit,she weaned at 3 wks.! :shock::shock:

Rose
Did the babies that wereweaned at three weeks survive? Just curious. I read so many articlesthat have conflicting information but I guess thats because differentbreeders do things differently. I'd like to wean when theyre eightweeks but if I notice Chloe biting and refusing to nurse them I'll doit a littlesooner.

Lanna

Did they survive? Oh yeah!!!

hehe

Nine big bouncing happy babies. Bub was one!

We moved her out of the babies' cage when they were 5 wks. Her fuse was running pretty short by that time.....:D

They were eating all solid food and driving Tank crazy because theywould steal it from her. She started jumping at small noises andshowing the whites of her eyes. The sight of poor Tank running with herprized piece of bread, eyes rolling and head held high so the babiescouldn't get it...with a furry flood of little ones chasing her. Onewould try and steal the food out of her mouth while the other woulddive for some milk (by that time it was just for sport).

Ohhhh....what a sight!!! Poor Tank! She was nearly frantic--those babies were WILD!

Rose

LOL Ohman, Rose. When I was reading this I didnt know whether to feel sorryfor Tank, or laugh at the antics of those little babies. I'm sure Tankdidnt find it funny, and I definitely sympathize with her, but I bet itwas quite a sight to see those babies harassing themommy.

Lanna

Latest posts

Back