we did it! we DID it!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbitgirl

Reaction score
Well, I decided to be brave and take Bub afterall, in a last minute decision. So in he goes, in his carrier in theback seat. With a whole carload of bunny care stuff.

and....

he was terrified of the radio, the motion of the car, the noise, thesmell--everything! He huddled in the back corner of the carrier pantingso hard his head wobbled.

That was the first 10 miles.

When we got out of town, he finally decided he wasn't going to die, and took a nap.

Ipull into the campground, stick the carrier in the shade,and set up the tent. By this time Bubby was fully awake and checkin' itall out from his kennel. Half of the tent was my bed, and half wasBubby-proofed with a litterbox, plastic tablecloth, and his food andwater. He thought that was really cool!! He had a blast running aroundin there, and I zipped up the door and let him stretch his legs.

Then I put on his new harness with retractable leash and turned himloose. He couldn't believe his luck! He was bouncing all overeverything, greeting people, digging, running, binkying. And when thekids came up he flopped out and didn't move while they smushed his faceand played with his ears. And he tried to eat EVERYTHING! I wasconstantly pulling "contraband" out of his mouth--until he startinggrabbing things and running for all he was worth so I couldn't get themaway. He loved the gravel campsite for digging holes and taking dirtbaths. And all the PEOPLE! He LOVED thepeople! And everyonewas in shock to see a bunny on a leash. He zigzagged from person toperson and then took off.

When he got tired, back he went into the kennel for a nap. He flopped out full length and crashed.

Then we went to bed. Well, SOMEBUNNY had waayyyy too much energy. Hedecided he wanted me awake NOW so he started attacking the cage in thewee hours of the morning.

Bubby: Crash! Crash! Dig dig! Bang!

Me: mmmmBubbyshutupandgotoSLEEP!!

Bubby: silence

Bubby 5 min. later: CRASH! CRASH! GNAW GNAW GNAW BANG!

Me: BUBBY!!!!:X

so finally, at around 7 am I wake up (AGAIN) to someone digging and gnawing at the cage door. I roll over to see....

A floppy eared, bright eyed orange baby with his head cocked, lipspoised over the cage wire, one foot ready to dig, watching to see whatmy reaction was....and as soon as I moved--CRASH! DIG! GNAW! BANG!

All right already!!! I'm awake! I'm awake!

I thought he wanted food, but nooo....he wanted to run again!

I put some flea repellent oil on his fur--he hates the smell. He wassooo angry, he very deliberately stepped right outside the litterboxand peed--his first "accident" since he began to use the box. We alsohad a little disagreement about my bed, and one defiant little bunnyleaping on as soon as my back was turned, over and over again.

He discovered that I would let him out if he was noisy enough. So as soon as I walked by he began banging the cage door.

Then the trip home. I put the carrier in the back seat, and this timeBub flops out in the very front of the carrier like the blase` worldtraveler he was by this time. He napped onandoffthe whole way home, chillin' to the radio and enjoying theAC.

I was really amazed. He not only survived, but I've never seen him sohappy. He absolutely loved it. Loved exploring, loved the attention,getting in trouble, being my roommate, watching the people, playingsteal the food and run....it was great. He was just "lit up" allweekend, happy, excited, interested.

Bunny camping is AWESOME!!

Rose

Great Story, rabbitgirl!

I bet you were the biggest hit of the whole campground. Now that Bubby's had a taste of fame, watch out!

Your story was great. I felt like I was right there watching him withyou. Thanks for the smiles. So glad you had a great time.

:cool:

-Carolyn

black_bear_tent_picnic_basket_snacking_lg_clr.gif

Sounds wonderful! If I didn't abhor camping so much, I would be temptedto take Elf on an excursion like yours. Luckily, my good sense willprevail and I'll go "camping" at the nearest pet-friendly hotel (maybesoon if Ivan comes too close);)

Did you have a camera with you for any of the fun?

I'd love to take my boys camping, butunfortunately, allergies prevent it. Not my allergies, I'd suffer withthem if I got the chance to take them! Not to mention, I don't thinkthey'd appreciate camping in the mountains with all the bears! lol.

Awww that was so cute. I read it to mycrew. Emmit couldn't believe he actually liked the leash (it is Emmit'sleast favorite thing), and Amelia said that Bubby soundscute. I think Bub might be a little young for Amelia though:p Plus, she's already in love with mr.hard-to-get: Emmit.

-Carrie

I'd definitely recommend bunny camping to thoseof you brave souls who like the outdoors anyway. If you hate camping ingeneral...well then....go for the hotel like Elfmommy! (BTW stay safeElfmommy!)

Just stick some ice bottles in the cooler! And I suppose my other bunsmay not love it as much as curious and easy-going Bubby. Fenwick, forexample, would probably hate it. He likes everything quiet andpredictable.

This morning, Bubby draped himself over my arms when I opened the doorand looked up like "hey! where were you last night? I wanna run!!!!"

He was awfully perky this morning--I guess camping agreed with him!

Rose

P.S. Carolyn tell Tina that Bubby is getting just like Apollo!!! :D

rabbitgirl wrote:
P.S. Carolyn tell Tina that Bubby is getting just like Apollo!!! :D

Will do, Rose! I'm sure she'll want to hear all about it.

:)

-Carolyn

Back