Water problem!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
Hey,

Emmy doesnt want to drink her water anymore! Two days ago ifilled a whole bottle of water for Emmy. I keep checking her cage ifshe is done drinking her water,( Before, she would drink half of thebottle) but now this morning when i checked it... it was still full! Soi got the bottle out of the cage and drained a little out to seeher reaction... still the same! What should i do now? Shouldi still put the bottle out of her cage... or just take it out?? (Oh,plus this morning.. Emmy chewd the string to hold the bottle... and idont know how to hang it from her cage... any suggetons?)

- Trina

Hi Trina,

Are you sure the water bottle is functioning properly?

Rabbits must have water. Without it, they die quickly. If you mustsyringe feed her water, do so. Water is essential in keeing therabbit's vital organs functioning properly.

-Carolyn

I would put a bowl in the cage also -- the water bottle may not be properly working.

What does Emmy's diet consist of? Rabbits onadiet of high moisture foods (leafy greens, apples,carrots, veggies) may drinkvery little water. Youcan add some of these foods to her diet for more moisture if needed.

How do Emmy's droppings appear? If they are hard, dry andvery small, then she is most certainly not getting enoughwater.

Pam

well.. we give her Nutipharse.. and my twinsister katy told me not to give her that much vegetables because it'sonly a treat?? And yes Pamnock.. i only see it dripping it only alittle amount of water instead big ones.. does this mean i have to gether a new bottle for her? A bigger one?? ooO.. and today.. Emmy chewdthe string or wire to hold the bottle up from her cage.. what materialshould i use to put the bottle up back again? :?

Trina,

You also might try offering her some fresh pineapple or dried papaya ifyou can get some from your local grocery store. If she's got ablockage, it may help to move things through.

You can use wire to reattach the bottle.

-Carolyn

Trina wrote:
well.. we give her Nutipharse.. and my twin sister katy toldme not to give her that much vegetables because it's only a treat?? Andyes Pamnock.. i only see it dripping it only a little amount of waterinstead big ones.. does this mean i have to get her a new bottle forher? A bigger one?? ooO.. and today.. Emmy chewd the string or wire tohold the bottle up from her cage.. what material should i use to putthe bottle up back again? :?

If the bottle is dripping a little, it's fine.. .

But what I was referring to (droppings) was herfecaldroppings (poopies):)-- are theysmall, hard and dry (that would indicate she's not getting enoughwater). Since she's not used to a diet with greensor veggies, you can introduce some *slowly*. Fruits are whatshould be considered a treat and given in moderation due to high sugarcontent.

Tie wire from the hardware store can be used to put the bottle back onthe cage. Leave it loose enough for you to remove the bottlefrom the cage.

Pam

I would not be especially concerned at thispoint. A rabbit who is eating and pooping normally *is*getting enough liquids. To ease your mind a little, a smallpiece of apple, carrot or a little parsley each day is recommended.

Pam

A couple paper clips and a rubber band or teenyminiature bungi cords also make good water bottle holders (as long asbunny can't get to them).

Pam

As Pamnock says, if she's eating and pooping fine, she's getting what she needs.

Keep her timothy hay filled. Some rolled oats are good to have aroundas they're good for them and most rabbits love them. If she does have ablockage or a bit of extra fur in there, these things will keep itmoving along. Fresh pineapple or dried papaya is the other routefor taking out what the hay leaves behind.

Some folks rabbits drink more water when they add a drop of vanillaextract to it. People that have outside rabbits do this to prevent flystrike, but I know a lot of people that do it anyway because theirrabbits like the taste of it.

-Carolyn

I have thought about posting about this before,but now that Trina has brought it up it seems like a good time. In the18+ months I've had Pernod and Perry, I can honestly say that I've onlyseen Perry drink 3 times and Pernod 2 times. Their water bottle is fulland works OK, but they never drink. The past few weeks I'veeven checked the level on the bottle and it hasn't moved (I change thewater daily and put the same amount back in). Both are peeing andpooping normally, and aren't dehydrated (no tenting). They do get someveggies and fruit morning and evening along with the pellets and hay,and they are eating grass in the garden for a few hours a day, so theymust be getting water from those sources. I'm not reallyworried cos, like I say, they are both well, but I just thought I'dmention it.

Jan

I always keep a bowl of water around for myrabbits, which they both drink out of in addition to their waterbottle. They seem to like the bowl better, maybe your rabbit is thesame?

I change the bowl water numerous times a day, because fur tends to getin it and I don't want them ingesting any more than they need to.

-Stephaine

When we first got Emmy, we did give her a bowl of water...but she never tending to drink from it... so every night.. i would tendtoo pour another fresh amount of water into her bowl. Buteverymorning... the size is still the same. We gave her fruits andvegetables like carrots, lettuce, celery etc. So... i guess probablyshe really didnt need the water because the fruits and vegetablescontained water. But now we got her nutripharse she does drink alot ofwater... so i'm going to just to put a bowl for her incase she as anyproblem drinking from the bottle. [[ thanks for this suggestion]]

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #f8f8f8"
Keep hertimothy hay filled. Some rolled oats are good to have around as they'regood for them and most rabbits love them. If she does have a blockageor a bit of extra fur in there, these things will keep it moving along.Fresh pineapple or dried papaya is the other route for taking out whatthe hay leaves behind. Some folks rabbits drink more water when theyadd a drop of vanilla extract to it. People that have outside rabbitsdo this to prevent fly strike, but I know a lot of people that do itanyway because their rabbits like the taste of it. -Carolyn

- Carolyn,

um... we dont have hay yetBut we doprovide her cage withmagazine paper and news paper. And isthe rolled oats from oatmeal?? And i will try to see if Emmy drinks herwater from putting a drop of vanilla extract too it! [[ thanks forsuggesting this also!]]

- LuvaBun

Their water bottle is full and works OK, but theynever drink. The past few weeks I've even checked the level on thebottle and it hasn't moved (I change the water daily and put the sameamount back in). Both are peeing and pooping normally, and aren'tdehydrated (no tenting). They do get some veggies and fruit morning andevening along with the pellets and hay, and they are eating grass inthe garden for a few hours a day, so they must be getting water fromthose sources.

^^ Yes you might be right Jan! Because when Emmy goes outside to eatgrass during the day... my dad tends to sprinkle a little water in thearea she likes best [[ she really likes in to the left under the gazebo:)]] So when she is done eating, she hops back into her cage... andjust lays down.. So i really think that you are right.

Thank you for all your help!

-- Trina :)

Back