Waste Disposal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsMeowTree

Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering what all of you do for the disposal ofwaste. Other than pans does any body have anything uniquethat they would suggest? I would like to stack cages two high and havea system to somehow get the waste out efficiently and quickly. Do youhave any recomendations? I can't afford a Flush Klean system as we'rejust a small rabbitry.

Thank You,

Katrina

Some people use a slanted pan system that leaves the waste run into a gutter behind the cages.

Pam

Pam,

I have thought of this and come up with many designs but what would bethe best material to make the pan of? That is my main delema. Right nowI have some roofing material slanted into a gutter that runs to thewheel barrow at the end. I'm afraid though, that this may not be goodfor an unheated rabbitry because it requires water to be cleaned.

Thanks

Katrina

When we had a barn i had fiberglass the kindthats almost see through and comes in sheets i think maybe 8 feet longslanted toward the back.bluebird

Bluebird,

Do you know where I would be able to find this fiberglass or about howmuch it would cost? 8 feet long would be just about perfect because mybarn is only abou eleven feet long and that would leave space for mywheelbarrow at the end.

Thanksa lot,

Katrina

Places like Lowes have it. You can alsobuy sheets of a flat, plastic type material. If your localsupplier doesn't have it, they should be able to order it for you.

The ribbedfiberglass is about $26 a 4 x 8 sheet. Asimilar product in vinyl is approx. $14 and thin FRP board (the stuffthey use in business bathrooms or for agriculture building walls) isapprox. $25 for a 4 x 8 sheet.

I know of someone who used tarps hung off the cages.

Pam

Pam,

I thought about using tarps too but I wasn't sure how that would workor how much of I mess I could accidently make. lol! I can be quiteclumsy sometimes and get myself into predicaments that you wouldn'tbelieve. I shall see what my parents think of this idea. Myfather is liable to come up with his own little "contraption" again.
thank you,

Katrina

Hey with some of my cages what I did was went tothe store and got some sheeting that they use for around tubs. It waslike five dallors for a eight foot sheet. Then I slanted it and layedeighty eight cent tarps on top of them. The cages below the top cagesare set so that way there is about a four inch gap behind them. Maybe alittle more than four inches not sure on the size of the gap. LOL. anyway the tarps run right down the back of the cage and then falls downon the cement floor. The bottom row of cages also lets the droppingsdown to the floor. So when I clean all I have to do is scoop along thebottom row of cages, then I always like to hose down the tarps, andthen use the water broom to push it all out the door. It works prettynice. The tarps are cheep enough and easy enough to put on and off thatI can take them off and replace them, or take them off and wash themdown. It works good as long as you make it so that way you can removethe cages easily and get everywhere easily. I hope that this helps.

Showrabbits,

Wow, that is really a great idea. My only problem is that I have woodenfloors for now and the manure tends to rot them. I suppose I couldpossible tarp off the floor, but that may lead to problems in cleaningup the manure. I was hoping to get away from scoop scoop scooping butthat might not be possible with such a short time left to come up withthat "perfect" idea. How wide is the sheeting that you use? Also, formy bottom cages, what if I outfitted a giant pan made of wood and linedwith heavy plastic with a set of wheels that I could use to simply movethe pan out to clean it? Then I could use the slanting sheeting on thetop. Wow, I just suprised myself with that option. That way I'd onlyhave to be scooping out the tray that I could move.Hmmm....Does anyone see any obvious troubles with this idea?

Thank you,

Katrina

Latest posts

Back