Warm water woes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright as it currently snows outside and it'sonly October I guess I better ask how does everyone keep there waterfrom freezing? I'm looking at automatic waterers and I was wonderingcan you use those bucket coils that keeps water warm orwouldthe lines just freezefurther down? Can it beused with flex tubes? I saw heat cable for sale on bunnyrabbit, what isthat? How does everyone combat this problem?

I have indoor rabbits, so I can't vouch for anyone brand of freeze-preventing automatic waterers. You might want tocheck out something like the Therma-bowl though at:

http://www.automaticwaterers.com/products-pet/all/waterers1.htm

It really depends on how much space and how many rabbits you have! I'llkeep myeyes open for other ideas...of course,themain thing is to not have any electric cords where bunny teeth can getat them. If thewater bowl gets sun, there are also optionsfor solar-powered waterers. With either of these, you don't have toworry about an external water line freezing - you'll just have toreplace the fresh water daily, as you always would do. :)

hmm. my bunnies are indoors so I dont have this problem.

I know MyBabyBunnies lives in Alberta, CA and she says some days she has to replace the water every few hours!

At that point, I would move them indoors ;)Im lazy, I guess!

We have two water crock dishes for each rabbitand water gets changed 3 times a day. I have noticed that if there is alot of hay in the rabbits water dish it does not freeze as fast.

Julia

As long as the water in the crock is liquid, thebunny's tongue can't get stuck to the inside of the bowl. Goodquestion, though ;). Putting hay in the bowl to prevent freezing is areally good idea. The water will still have to be changed, of course,but not so often.

It would be great if you could bring the bun(s) inside for the winter,but that's not always an option. My parents wouldn't allow me to dothat when I was younger, so I compensated by putting a thick lining ofhay in their cage. Hay is surprisingly warm, so be generous withit. Do you have an enclosed or attached box in the cage wherethe bun(s) can concentrate body heat, lined with hay, if it gets reallycold?

wait!!!!!:pullhair::foreheadsmack:
you guys put the water in the dish and put hay in the water and itdoesn't freeze?????????????????
i am not getting this HELP!!!!!!!!!:)

I used to change water 10 times a day.;)And that was when I was at school (althoughI didcome home at lunch). I'm trying to figure out new ways of doing it nowthat I can't come home and some of my days are really long, I have yetto figure out a safe and good way of keeping water from freezing (I donot trust heated bowls).

I can't help with the water line issue but I would think it would stillfreeze, just maybe not as close to the course of the heat. And I wouldthink that nozzles would still freeze. I hope you can figure somethingout!

We have ceramic crocks, not metal ones, and Wedon't intentionally put hay in the dishes, but the cages are all beddeddown with hay so its hard to keep hay from falling into the dishes :)

ani-lover wrote:
if you use metal crocks how does your bunnys tounge not getstuck to the bowl
I just had to have a little giggle at this,it reminds me of something so funny that happened to me when i was just a kid :laugh:

cheryl

Latest posts

Back