vet again??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tristaw.

Reaction score
we are without a vehicle again!!this time it's the starter. it's being fixed tomorrow though THANK GOD..this is stressful..BunBun seems ok.. eating, pooping same old stuff he does but he seems tuckered out. Last night he wasn't quite as active as the night before with his happy binkies.

I thought maybe he is just tired because wow did he run that night and jump etc. He seemed so happy. He just wanted to lay around last night and actually hopped into his cage early. he hadn't been that wired in a long time so maybe he really is just having a lazy day.

BUT to me, it looks like his ear is swollen. My adult daughter doesn't see it, hubby either but I know this bunny. They're making me feel like I'm seeing things. My daughter is the first one to tell me take him to a vet. She likes animals more than people so I do trust her instincts usually. I call her the bunny and cat whisperer. However, it does look swollen. If I can get a camera in this house to work, I'm going to post a picture so maybe you guys can compare his two ears.

I just read in another thread about becoming resistant to Baytril. It worked the first time like a charm. He takes it by mouth without a fuss but if his ear is swollen that would mean it isn't working this time, right?

Am I overreacting do you think? Based on one night and day of being not as energetic as the night before last?

Is it difficult to give a needle to a bunny? If it comes down to that, I'm not sure I could do it. well, of course I would but the thought of doing it wrong scares me to death. He didn't seem to mind the needles the doc gave him. The doctor did it between his shoulder blades.

My poor bunbun. I'm over vigilant I think. My hubby says my fear is making me see something about his ear that no one else does.

Ithink that you are probably right on with this and that the baytril is not enough for this type of injury and the bacteria from the cat.

Iknow that Pipp, our administrator,( who lives in Canada) has a vet who gave herthe slow acting penicillin (benzathine for injection) and oral chloramphenical for her rabbit who was bitten by a cat.

theseare powerful drugs and I believe that the rabbit made it.

Idon't think that you can get bicillin at farm stores in Canada; we can buy it over the counter here because it is sold for cattle .

even if you don't want to do injections we would help you learn how to do it.

I learned from Randy over the internet and gaveinjections to 2 of my rabbits for a long period of time . ..but i was also nervous about it

But even a better oral drug like Azithromycin would be better than baytril
the ideal would be an injectable and an oral ..double whammy ..
I think that you need to take him back to the vet..

I think stronger and different antibiotics are needed. The vet can show you how to administer those that are to be given sub-q.

If there is a next time, GOD I HOPE NOT.. it was awful :( (and now I have major obstacles in the way so they are all completely separated..) I will request those and ask to be shown how to give the injections. I used to give my niece her growth hormone when she was little but that was intramuscular so I'm not really afraid to give needles just to the bunnies because they seem so fragile.

BunBun is absolutely better now. His ear is pink but a healthy healing pink. still no fur but no blood, no tear,no visible anything except it looks like he has been shaved but it's looking fine and.. he is as frisky as a baby.

Thank god.

Not something I would EVER want to go through again!!!

Latest posts

Back