Urgent: Sore found on my bunny! Patches of fur missing!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.lai

Reaction score
The last week or so i noticed some strange patches of fur that are darker on my bunny. Three patches. I also noticed the darker patches seem to be shorter. I ruled it down to shedding and brushed him more often the last week.

However tonight while patting him, i noticed a scabby feel of something just behind the back of his front leg. It felt scabby, like a sore of some sort.

I have photos of the strange patchy fur and also the sore.

He is in a play pen by himself and is never with other rabbits.

Photos:
img0029t.jpg

img0030fi.jpg

img0031wr.jpg

Notice the patches on his back that are darker.
img0032p.jpg

They're more apparent here.
img0033d.jpg

img0037s.jpg

img0040ns.jpg

Its easier to see here without the flast
img0042bk.jpg

Is he housed or play together with the other bunny? They could be the result of hair-pulling and nipping.

Best to put a little Betadine on the areas.

sas

The fur patches look like shedding. The sore sould be from a bite, but it also looks a little bit like what happens to Muffin if I pull out her molting fur too soon. Is the sore just redness under the surrface of the skin, or have some layers of skin come off there? If it were the 2nd option, the skin would feel different on the sore area. That would be more than overgrooming. Id put neosporin on it and watch for changes in the next 2 days.

Is their any way that he could have reached himself with a long sharp nail and done it to himself while trying to scratch. ?

You can try to put a little betadine and then a a little neosporin in it... your bun could be in a shed and and scratched himself.

If this does not clear up with your treatment thenI would suspect possible fur mites or maybe ringworm .

We have hadskin cultures done on shelter buns for ringworm when we observed similar skin lesions ; actually they always came back negative .

Sometimes the lesions cleared up without us really knowing what it actually was
A vet can smetimes see mites under a microscope and alsocheckthe bun with fluorescent black light for ringworm..before even doing a culture.

Sometimes furmites are difficult to diagnose and you could just dose with Revolution to see if it clears up.

Anyway it may just be that he scratched himself and is shedding so just keep observing it for now.

i would check it at the vets, Belle had some little bare patches but the skin was perfect not sore or red and not dry ,no signs of irriation or mites/fleas so she said probably stress due to being rehomed,after a day or 2 you should see it drying up if it`s just a minor wound however he got it !? Hope it heals soon:hug1

Thanks for all your help guys, its unlikely that he was scratched by the other bunny in the house as they only first met tonight and got along great.

He is housed alone, and is shedding, the wound is dry and seems to be scabbing up, looks like it came from a scratch or some sort but im not sure what the circumstance was.

I'll watch it over the next two days and see how it goes, i'll apply betadine.

His nails cant be too long, they dont feel long, because he was neutered on the 15th of December and he was given a nail clip by the vet on that day, so its been less than 4 weeks since his last trim.

l.lai wrote:
His nails cant be too long, they dont feel long, because he was neutered on the 15th of December and he was given a nail clip by the vet on that day, so its been less than 4 weeks since his last trim.

I would not try bonding for another week. Although the probability of just a scratch is very high if it happen to be ringworm you don't want to spread that.

Once ringworm gets out of control it very hard to get rid of. It does remind me of when I brush storm and I pull on some fur very hard

Just to update you all, Racer's sores did not get better so i took him to the vet.

We've ruled out attacks from another bunny.

His general health is good.

After looking at his hair theres no mites or fleas but we'll treat with Revolution regardless.

Vet thinks its from over scratching the area, said the wound is healing and nothing serious, no puss, no infections. Nothing to worry about.

I hope he's right.

I'll be picking up little Racer tonight after work.

His bonding journey will continue! More videos being uploaded as we speak.

I think that it is a good idea to treat with Revolution. Sometimes it is difficult to (even for the vet) to get an accurate diagnosis for fur mites. if the hair grows back after the Revolution is used you will know that you were dealing with mites.

You also will need to clean and disinfect his environment so that their are no traces of mites in hay, blankets, cage, toys etc. ..even the rug

Back