Update on my sick bunny #2..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score

This morning, 12-07-07... Rico Suave was found dead in his cage...
We are all pretty upset... he was our favorite...

RIP Rico Suave..

Zin...

:sad:..... Zin, I'm so sorry.... Poor Rico.... thanks for all you did for him.

Thank you everyone..

Rico was the bunny with just a rasp and clear nasal discharge, which had subsided in the last few days.

The deathly ill rabbit is well, and alert and happy...so I guess I should stop calling him the deathly ill rabbit.

Due to the fact that this is the 3rd bunny from the same breeder to die under strange circumstances.. strange being no valid reason why... he was shipped off to Texas A&M today.

The ill bunny, well formerly ill bunny, was from the same line, but born here to my doe.. still makes me question the breeder's line. It seems that while JH253 was a champ, and produced some champ offspring, they all seem to have premature deaths.

On the flip, all my other does are healthy and happy.. well except for that tiff in the bunny run.. that was a REAL throwdown.. fur a flyin and all! I imagine now they are talking bunny smack through the cage wires. All of my other does came from another breeder.. so it makes me wonder if it's me, my barn, something I am doing.. or is it just that particular line.

I dont think its us.. I have a NZ Easter Bunny, who is old as dino doody, and he is the most untidy nappy rabbit I have ever had, and he is as healthy as a horse.

Still.. I left nothing to chance... we pulled all cages in the show rabbit side, and welding torched them to sanitize them... put in new waterers.. changed out feeders, and really sanitized the barn. We then went over to the Easter discards side and did the same to all 34 of their cages.

But like I said.. I am not convinced it's us... otherwise my NZ's and my remaining show rabbits would be in the same boat.

Anybody have any input?

Zin

Oh Zin, so sorry. :(

I checked the original thread (http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=30142&forum_id=16), I'm sorry I didn't think this bunny sounded all that sick.

Maybe Pam will have some ideas, but honestly, it'sgreat that you've asked Texas A&M to help getto the bottom of it.

Thiswill not only help your own herd, but all bunnies in the future. Poor little Rico can rest in peace knowing that thanks to you, he's contributing toeducation, health and welfare, and the bunny world will be a better place for it. :hug:

:rip: Rico Suave

sas :cry1:

I'm so sorry Zin. He must have been more sick than he was letting you know. I hope you can get some answers from his death. Maybe it will help with the other buns of his line should they get sick. All those ill rabbits from one place would make me wonder too.

Binky free Rico. :rainbow:

I'm very sorry about the loss of your rabbit. You have probably already thought of this, but once you get the results back on the necropsy it would be a good idea to let this breeder know as well. It sounds to me like a genetic problem, since this is obviously quite commom in his/her barn.

This whole thing has been eating at me....

Seriously.....

Rico was a very sweet bunny....

I went and saw the Golden Compass tonight, and a couple of the Daemons were rabbits, which made the whole thing worse.

I don't know why this is affecting me so much.

But I came to a conclusion...

In the last 5 years I have had over 90 bunnies pass through my barn on the way to new homes. I still have 34.. in addition to my show stock. Some of the 34 I still have are old.. elderly by rabbits standards. They have been through 2 hurricanes, one major one (Rita) and one minor one (Humberto). They have been stressed, ear mite ridden, mangy, beaten and starved (before I got them...dang people) been exposed to over 100 degree weather, and freezing temps. One of my oldest rabbits is so nappy, and ugly, and it doesnt matter how many times we clean him, he likes reveling in his own filth...My point is...I think I know a few things about bunnies. In all that time, none have died, or even been remotely sick other than when they intially came in, meaning none got ill after the fact. NONE!!! So, the only ones I have had die or be sick, have been full sisters of the legendary JH253, who were also impregnated by him. Or actually be a MALE child of his. The females are golden... not a problem with any of em. All of my other show stock is good... typical neurotic females.

I think.. I can beat myself up about this, but I think the bottomline is, it's not a sanitary issue, it's not a herd issue... it's a genetic issue.

Still doesnt make it any better... and now im all teary eyed again....

Thanks for lettin me be an emotional nutjob ya'll.

Zin

Back