Unknown breed of buck with sore eye and some runny stool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruceswife

Reaction score
We just got this rabbit a week ago.
He has runny stools occassionally, but getting better.
He seems to not be drinking much water.
Eye has fur loss and is watery.

rabbit.JPG

Breed: Unknown, but accepting suggestions!

Other:
Spent the last few years in a large enclosed wooden hutch.
Nails grew rally long - just trimmed today.
Is currently in a wire cage suspended form side of shed.
Feed is exactly the same - they gave us the ( mostly full ) bag they were using.

I would have a fecal check done for cocci and have the vet take a look at that eye.

Pam

Is it runny fecals, or uneaten cecals? He should have a solid board or something to rest on so he can eat his cecals without them falling to the ground. Cecals are supposed to be mushy. If his fecals are mushy, I agree that a fecal test done by a vet is in order. If it is true diarrhea, he needs to be taken to a vet ASAP and get some fluids into him. Rabbits can get very sick very quickly due to fluid loss from diarrhea. With true diarrhea, it's something that can't wait until tomorrow to go to the vet, it's an emergency situation. If they're just mushy stools, he should be seen sometime this week.

The eye looks like conjunctivitis, a blocked/infected tear duct, trauma, or tooth root issues. All of these need vet care to be treated. I would want the vet to look closely at the eye and tear duct, and feel the area around it for tooth root abscesses. A dental x-ray may be needed as well. The eye alone isn't an emergency, but it should be seen in the next week.

Good luck!!

Check the ears too. They look too pink. Might be a case of ear mites.

He needs something to rest on. Also be careful of flies especially with the running stools.

If this was my bunnyIi would keep him from other rabbits for a month,also would get him to a good rabbit vet. ASAP,but if not then would treat for coccidiosis, and revolution or Ivomec for worms,lice mites,also would get some eye ointment in the eye for starters,feed hay free choice and less pellets to see if dropings firm up,the wire in the cage floor looks to be a fine ga.would not use anything smaller than 16 ga. and then would buy a foot rest for him to lay on.

his eye looks runny but I don't see pus , his fur was difficult to see as abnormal but being outside he could very well have mites.

a rabbit like this needs a very thorough check up ..teeth, ears, mites parasites etc. as others have stated

make sure that he is getting a good amount of quality hay like grass or timothy

Latest posts

Back