Understanding eye infection

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namtrab

Reaction score
I have a bun that has been diagnosed with conjunctivitis, and is currently being treated with Cipro. It began with your basic eyes watering onto her face, and then a small amount of white goop began appearing in the corner of her eye. We are on day 2 of treatment, so we still have 8 days to go on Cipro, so I'm certainly not alarmed about anything at this point.

So, here's my question, in regards to the white goop. When it first showed up (and currently), it's a very small amount (I've seen buns with MUCH more amount), and the frequency in which I dab it out of her eye isn't very often. Roughly twice a day I have to dab a tiny amount out of her eye. During the course of treatment, is it a bad thing to see any white goop, or is it a good thing? I wasn't sure how to look at this. Is it bad because that means that there is still active infection causing the goop, or is it possible that it is good to still see goop because that means that the eye is flushing it out (presumably out of her tear duct)?

I just want to make sure I understand what may be going on before she goes back for her recheck next week. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back