Turner Syndrome?? Absent uterus!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagginslover

Reaction score
I took my doe in to be spayed today, imagine my surprise when I had a phonecall telling me she had no uterus!

I took her in to be looked at last week to see if she needed to be seen, as she was a rescue bun, I wasn't sure if she had already been done. The vet shaved her and didn't find any scars, so we went ahead.

The vet mentioned Turner Syndrome as a possible reason, but I can only find mention of it in relation to humans!! There are references to it in horsey things, certain breeds are known to have mssing uteruses, but nothing relating tobunnies. :X

Have you herd of this?

She is doing well now, poor thing. I feel quite guilty putting her through it unneccisarily:tears2:

Umm....never heard this one before but I do have a couple of possibilities. One, and this is probably unlikely, is that she had already been spayed. If a skilled surgeon using a laser does the surgery, there is little evidence of an incision scar. I have quite a few girls here that you can't tell. But I would suspect this might be one of those gender fairies....maybe it's a neutered male. And I guess there is one more possibility....we had an in-bred rescue that was hermaphrodite....she was genetically female but had small male organs. So if there can be both, theoretically there could be done....aesexual. Really interesting mystery. Wondering what an ultrasound or something like that would show?

Randy

I agree, it could just be a very small scar. There is also a wide range of what can happen, from Turner's to hemaphrodism to having the uterus not develop for other reasons. I wouldn't worry about it, but like Randy said, would double-check to make sure she isn't male.

Same thing happened with a female from our shelter
Actually she is Vivian Violet who belongs to a forum member.
She was a petite white lionhead and we guessed that she was petco bunny and would have been spayed before going to the store.

Was your bunny a surrender or a stray at the shelter?

you could attempt to track down that info.
| if your rabbit was a surrender the shelter could contact the previous owner; if she was a stray you wouldn't be able to find out .

Just for something to look for if it was a Peter's (Petco) rabbit....they are "blue dots". There will be a pair of blue dots tattooed in the ear.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Just for something to look for if it was a Peter's (Petco) rabbit....they are "blue dots". There will be a pair of blue dots tattooed in the ear.

Randy

I've seen the blue dots before but I didn't know what they were...

ActuallyI thought the Petco rabbits were Marshall Farms ??

She was a stray :( she is such a sweet rabbit, I like to think she escaped rather than was abandoned, I just can't Imagine anyone wanting rid of her.

Tattooing isn't common here (I'm in the UK) especially on pet bunnies.

She is definatly a girl to look at 'down there'. Just not I side it seems!!

Marshall's brand of rabbits was called Peter's rabbits, and all of their rabbit food and other products are sold under the Peter's name. They are a huge distributor of ferrets and other small animals for pet stores, along with other animals for medical research labs. They only sold males though, as far as I remember. I think they stopped selling bunnies, but the website is still up, although some links are broken so I don't know. They did have the blue dot tattooed in the ear.

These bunnies weren't sold in the UK. Your girl may have been abandoned for one of many reasons, no matter how sweet she is. A lot of people abandon pet rabbits because "they're moving" and didn't think to look for a new apartment that takes pets. I'm betting this happened to her. That's all behind her though, and she has a happy home now and you don't have to worry about her having babies in any case!

I wouldn't feel too guilty! lol
We brought a little girl home we rescued from a petstore...she was horribly malnourished...so we fed her up, got her healthy...waited till she was 6 months old and sent her in to be spayed. The vet called an hour later to let me know that Daphne was acually a Darren...and since our vet didn't want to rush the neuter we had to wait another 4 weeks to have his neuter done!

Apparently he was so sick it had delayed his development AND he had a fully split penis so it looked like a vulva...three people sexed him and got it wrong!:shock:

SO he is our only bunn to literally have been speutered!:D
And no he still hasn't forgive us! Guilt...loads of guilt!

Danielle

Latest posts

Back