Truffles-the-Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianC

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I figured I'dshare the story of my precious little Truffles. It's a sad,but cute story with a happy ending. So if you can read thewhole thing, I think you'll find it worth the read.

(WARNING: Be prepared to read a lot, because I'm bad atmaking things short and to the point. :) Also please don't beoffended by the hormonal bunny talk. I assume we're alladults here, and I'm just speaking in the most subtle way in ordertoconvey some funny tendancies or situations with ourhormonal bunny)

Last Augustwe bought a precious, seal colored, 6 month oldMini-Rex buck who we named Truffles...or Truffles-the-Bunny.He was the softest, most beautiful little bunnymygirlfriendand I hadever seen (I'll post pictureseventually...but I'm not on my computer at the moment).Truffles was a "cool" bunny, because he would always liedownwith aconfident, sort of relaxed "chill" lookabout him...as if he knew that he was a "cool customer" and hewasletting you know it.

Once we did some cat sitting for a month. Truffles playedwell with the cat and the cat was very sweet to Truffles, playingaround and even petting Truffles.

Since Simon (the cat) hated care rides, he fled toward the bedroom whenhis owner came in the door.Simon stared at us witha look that said, "PLEASE don't make me go on a car ride!Just open the bedroom door, and I'm outta'here!!"He just sat at the door, completely inshock.

We wanted to show the owner how Truffles played with herkitty. We let Truffles out, and he did the CUTESTthing! He ran over thekitty and stood up ontheSimon's left shoulder as if he were hugging him!We were like, "Awwww! How cute is that??" THEN, inthe blink of an eye, Truffles maneuvered to the rear and took advantageof Simon! We were all dying laughing for at least aminute. So...eyeswatering and stomachs aching, wefinally said, "We've gotta' stop this." Simon wasinshock the whole time, even after we seperated them. Beingviolated by a bunny is not a cat's idea of a fun day. If wehad had a video camera, we wouldhave won America's FunniesHomeVideos.

Around this time, my parents were really wanting a bunny. Sowe got them a 4 1/2 week olddutch buck whom theynamedElmer. They spoiled Elmer WAY toomuch! He had the run of the house and he manipulated myparents to no end! AfterElmer was about 4 monthsold, we decided to bring Truffles over for a visit while we went onvacation. Truffles really liked Elmer, but bunnies will bebunnies, and of course they were humping. (Rabbits will humpanything, I swear!)Our friends joked about Trufflesbeing gay, and we told them that he's just a sexually frustrated bunnywho needs to get his "groove on".

Truffles may have been a little sad to come home with us, because myparent's house has much more running area. He had fun, and hehad made a friend. Two weeks later, Truffles suddenly stoppedeating. The next morning we took him to the vet and got moreBaytril and force feeding supplies. I tried to force feed himall day, but I couldn't get it down him. Around 5:30 pm,Truffles had two seizures and went catatonic. We rushed himto the vet who was gracious enough to stay open for us. Hewas warm on the way to the vet, but when we got there, Truffles wentcold and stiff. The vet confirmed that Truffles had passedaway. We left there crying and buried little Truffles about30 minutes later, making sure we stayed away from any other bunnies asto not spread the Pasteurella. We were very torn up aboutthis.

Little Elmer was showing some similar symptoms of Pasteurella aroundthis time as well. He was acting very strange, and we thoughtit might have something to do with his hormones, because he was around4 months old. He was tearing up the carpet, just goingcrazy. His urine would "leak" per-se, and his droppings werewet. He got big in the stomach and we figured maybe he hadeating carpet and developed a carpet-ball in his stomach. Myparents rushed him to the vet to have him checked. The vetpushed on his stomach and said, "Oh no, there's something inthere. This can only be taken care of with surgery!Let me check a few more things. (tests his urine, then says) "His PH isreally high. Well, this can only mean one thing..."The vet walks out of the room so that all the other staff can hear himand says, "Elmer has turned into Elmira! And she's withchild." Everyone got a good laugh out of that one.So not only did our sales person not know the difference between amini-rex & a dutch...but apparently he didn't even know how tosex a rabbit either. (granted, it's hard at 4 1/2weeks).

What I didn't tell you is that Truffles was on antibiotics while hevisited Elmer, which means he did not pass the Pasteurella on toElmer. And now there are 6 healthy little babyTruffles. They are about 5 weeks old and veryprecious. Three resemble Truffles and three resembleElmer. So, even though we lost the best bunny in the world,he left us a little surprize to remember him by (due to his incessantdesire to get his "groove" on). lol Elmer is 6 months now andabout to be spayed, but being a wonderful mother to the little kits.

That's my sad, but cute little story about"Truffles-the-Bunny". I hope you all enjoyed it.Now you guys have some background on my bunny experience. Anddon't worry...it won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to read thisnovel! lol I'll understand completely.

- Brian C.

P.S. - And yes...HER name is still Elmer! lol We just joke and say she had a sex change that day at the doctor. hehe

Greetings Brian,

So glad that Truffles was able to pass the baton on and you have his babies and they were all happy and healthy.

It really breaks your heart when they pass over. I've nevergotten over the animals I've lost, I just don't cry when I say theirnames anymore.

I'm sure Elmira is loved just as much as Truffles is. So gladyou got another bunny and that she never caught what he had.That was a close call!

-Carolyn

Hey Brian,

That's really cute, and it sounds just like my boy Bunbun, who also just died.

Since he was about 5, he was hopelessly in love with me...or my leg,lolololol..... He loved summer because I wore shorts and he couldfollow me around slobbering on my ankles--or worse!!! He used to get sofrustrated because I'd always push him away when he got too amorous.His favorite game was "spray Rose", and he loved it when I screechedand ran when he started "dive bombing". I swear, he used to hide andambush me just as I was congratulating myself on staying dry for justone day!

He wasn't bred until he was 8 1/2, and all his bunny dreams came truewhen he met the girlfriend of his dreams--who was a massive palominowho outweighed him by at least 5 lbs. When I checked to see how the"courting" was going, Bunbun and Tank lay side by side. Bunbun had onelittle arm over her shoulder, and he was licking her face.

One month later, he died, after a long sickness due to a vet's mistake.And only a few days after that, Tank gave birth to NINE little Bunbuns.All healthy and well, and just like Daddy! Little orange furballs thatclimb all over me every morning.

Welcome,

Rose

Thanks for the replies. That's such asweet story about your buck. I'm glad that it had a happyending like mine did.

I can relate to Carolyn as well...you never get over the littlecritters. You just don't cry when you mention theirnames. Little Truffles will always be greatlymissed.

- Brian C.

Back