True or false?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the statement below true about does getting spayed?

• Yes

• No

• It's debatable.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Speri

Reaction score
A person who came into where my mom works (at a vet office) and claimed she has raised rabbits when she was younger. They started talking about spaying does and the lady said there is no need to do so unless the rabbit is around a buck. The woman's reasoning was this, "You don't need to get a female rabbit spayed unless she is around other males because then the risk of uterine cancer is raised, otherwise, the risk for uterine cancer is not as high". I'm still getting my bun spayed, but I just wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of this or something like it.

My understanding was that all unspayed does have a high risk of uterine cancer, regardless of whether they are around males or not. I think I've heard that the risk of uterine cancer in unspayed females can be over 75%.

Maybe what she meant was that unspayed females can enter false pregnancies when they are around males (neutered or not). I'm sure one of our breeder members might be able to provide you with a better answer.

The actual study is often misquoted. A study revealed an 80% chance of uterine "tumors" in older does.

The tumors were not necessarily cancerous.

Spaying does eliminates the risk ofcomplications due to uterine tumors that most does are likely to get as they age (just as in humans).

Pam

The actual study is often misquoted. A study revealed an 80% chance of uterine "tumors" in older does.

Thanks for clearing that up. I always thought that number was a little high if it reffered to actual cancer.

Matt:)

Oh, alright. I just wanted to run it by you guys. I really didn't believe what the woman said, because I have heard constantly that does are at about an 80% chance of uterine cancer (even the benign tumors when they're older). I have heard it here and in some books I read. Thanks for clearing everything up everyone. :)

wait..so this person is saying that if an unspayed doe is around a buck, she has a chance of cancer? is cancer spread threw air nowadays?

lol No, the lady said when a rabbit goes into estrus (when a male buck is around) there is a greater risk. I thought an unspayed doe will go into estrus anyway though, buck or no buck...isn't that correct? :?

Ok now I'm really confused. I thought they didn't go into heat unless the buck is already mounting but I'm reading things that are telling me they're basically always in heat.

^had to look up what estrus meant lol.

But ok, got what she means now.

Speri wrote:
Wow, I never knew that. So a doe doesn't go into heat (estrus) until actually mating?
Sorry Speri I guess I edited my comment while you were posting. Now I'm not so sure. I'm gonna shut up and let someone else answer lol.

lol It's okay, I'm basically as lost as you are. I was researching thisa second ago and found:does exhibit induced ovulation, their ovaries releasing eggs in response to copulation rather than according to a regular cycle. They can also undergo postpartum estrus, conceiving immediately after a litter has been born.

So, I guess they aren't always in constant estrus, but actually have a cycle of some sort when mating (according to the part I bolded). Wow, lol, I don't know how to explain this, but I think I understand now.

Never heard of that one. Wonder why she thought that? Not all the tumours are malignant so you won't always see signs of them. That and rabbit breeders don't always keep non-breeding rabbits around, so when they're past breeding age they don't keep them and wouldn't see them getting ill from uterine cancer, etc.

My vet actually got pale in the face when talking to me about uterine cancer. She's seen it and apparently it's awfull. We were talking about whether or not to open Luna up and visually check to see if she was spayed, which we did and up doing on the vet's recommendation. Good thing too because she had all her organs, despite her last owners claiming she was spayed!

Hmm, that is a good thing you got her checked out. I'm glad everyone seems to be disagreeing with her opinion, because if it was in fact true, I'd still have a nagging feeling that I should get her spayed anyway to be on the safe side.

I need to be spayed. I don't want anymore "tumors" popping out after 9 mos LOL!

pamnock wrote:

The tumors were not necessarily cancerous.

Spaying does eliminates the risk ofcomplications due to uterine tumors that most does are likely to get as they age (just as in humans).

Pam

I'm in the same boat as you, Speri and Okiron. I read in all my books and in all the info I read (well, 80% of the books/info I read said)that does are always in heat, but they conceive really well in the warmer months (not summer, more like spring, late winter, etc.). I know they can get pregnant every day of the year, well mostly I guess, but some days are better and I know some breeders go by what the moon tells them. I have no clue what that's called though!! :p

Emily

naturestee wrote:
My vet actually got pale in the face when talking to me about uterine cancer. She's seen it and apparently it's awfull. We were talking about whether or not to open Luna up and visually check to see if she was spayed, which we did and up doing on the vet's recommendation. Good thing too because she had all her organs, despite her last owners claiming she was spayed!
wow. I would be so worried. didn't they shave her belly to look for a spay scar? i thought that was the normal procedure. I'm glad you did the surgery too, it was definitely the right thing to do, even if she was already spayed, but I would have been a nervous wreck!!

Latest posts

Back