Treating mites-how many doses?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremellomare

Reaction score
If I am missing it, I apologize in advance. My rabbit Cads has (soon to be had) mites, observed with microscope. She was also itchy and had the signs. Ordered and have done one dose of Revolution, so when does she need the next dose? The one working link said 30 days, but isn't the life cycle shorter?

Ok, so treat again in 30 days. What do I need to do to treat the enviroment? She is in a cage on wood pellet bedding that is changed weekly, I am not sure where she picked them up in the first place. She is the only rabbit in our house, but we have pet rats. Thanks for the help, I just want her to get better.

if she is not out of her cage then washthe cage thoroughly (with soap and water) and/or bleach and water and if possible allow it to dry outside in the sunlight.

if you use bleach be sure that you rinse it off thoroughly

After you apply the Revolution place her back in a thoroughly disnfected cage.

Totally wash food bowls , water bowls, toys ..if there are wood toys then throw them out .

Sometimes mites can come in in bedding. You probably know this alreadybecause you have rats and it is very common for rats to get mites ( these mites are specific for rats and cannot be transmitted to anything other thananother rat) from carefresh etc.

what kind of wood pellets do you use ?

Iassume that she is inside.

I would change and wash her cage more often until this problem is resolved.

Mites often are almost "latent" in rabbits and only surface and cause issues when the rabbit is stressed or anything else that decreases the immune system

Horse pelleted bedding, the pine only. I don't use carefresh for the rats, I've heard that about the mites before we got them so they are on aspen shavings. Yes she is inside. She has always been healthy, is spayed, fed Manna pro show, timothy hay. Is there anything to boost the immune system in rabbits?

Nothing about her food would cause mites or affect the immune system. Diet sounds OK , however Manna Pro Show is really a high protein feed for an adult pet rabbit.

A better food for an adult is lower in protein, and fat and high in fiber. Pellets should really be only a small portion of the diet anyway; hay is the most important so if you continue to feed Manna Pro Showcut it down according to her weight. 1/4 cup daily for 5lbs and under

from the library

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12160&forum_id=17

She only gets about 1/4 of a cup, her weight doesn't fluctuate on it. Hay is free choice. I'm pretty limited in food availability here to what the feed stores carry. Is there anything additional to help boost her immune system? Thanks for the help.

I don't have any ideas on boosting the immune system through diet as her diet seems normal; try to keep her in a strss free environment

Make sure that she is in a clean habitat and moderate temps. Outdoor rabbit would tend to get parasites more often than indoor.

I ran acorss this article and thought that you might want to read it ; I thought it was an informative article

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html#abnormal

Latest posts

Back