travel cage--must be safe from dogs ad cat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
With the upcoming holidays, we've got some travel plans that include the bunnies. My bf's parents have 2 dogs (older schnauzer and medium-aged golden mix) and a cat (indoor/outdoor, not very friendly, mostly a mouser). I feel terrible when my guys chew up the carpet, walls, wood, etc, and pee on the carpet in their rooms, so I'm looking for an alternative to keeping them in the guest room or a spare bathroom with the door blocked off with a baby gate.

Just so it's clear, I'm talking about Tony and Muffin, as Frida and Ben can stay in the bedroom with us; they don't chew as much and don't keep us up at night with loud noises.

The dogs probably wouldn't hurt them (on purpose), they just want to play. The cat might--she has killed wild baby bunnies before. The cat isn't inside all the time, but she is allowed to come and go. The basement has a doggy door that the dogs use to go to the bathroom when nobody's home, and also the cat's food and water bowls, so we can't just block off the whole basement.

There is a small area where I was thinking of putting up a two-layered system: a cage or something in the middle, of adequate size, and a "small animal playpen" (wire, about 2.5ft high, makes a big circle) around that. That way they can't bite through the wires. At night they'd definitely be in the cage.

I've found a pet tent thing that's made for dogs--it's a short, roundish tent that has a lid, made of nylon and mesh, etc. It would probably keep the cat out. The doors are held on with Velcro but we could pin it shut more securely.
http://www.petco.com/product/108191...pen.aspx?CoreCat=DogSFC_CarriersCratesKennels

791611020807C.jpg

Another option is a big enough SuperPet style cage, or a dog kennel. I don't know if I can afford a big enough SuperPet--it would need to be extra large at the least. My guys are used to having free run of my apt all day, just caged at night, in a 3.5ft deep by 3.5fr wide by 4.5ft tall space with shelves.

I have seen some old dog kennels on craigslist for cheaper, but even the biggest ones are kinda small and could get cat paws through them.

Any ideas? I've never lived with dogs and cats (except of course when we visit them), so I don't really know how to deal with this...

I'd get a craigslist dog kennel and some hardware cloth for the kitty paws.

My bunnies would chew through that tent in 10 minutes.

Could you get an xpen and use NIC grids or something to make a cover? The buns shouldn't be able to get out and the cat shouldn't be able to get in.

The little tent is cute, but do you think your guys would chew through it? If they wouldn't, I like it, especially because it has a roof. Also, would the dogs try to knock it over and get at them (or run it over accidentally, as dogs are known to do)? This could be a problem with xpens too, but if they're in a bathroom or something where the dogs can't go, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys. You're probably right about the tent. I've looked at some craigslist kennels, and we'll see if I can get one. I think that, combined with the hardware cloth (I already have some in a 1cm grid that I used for their main cage), and a pen around that might do it. I'd prefer to not have to put them in one of the other rooms, but that is always an option.

I would also sat if you have enough Nic grids you could make walls inside the tent. So the buns cant get out.

But if the cat really wants them she will go through that tent faster then the rabbits would chew through it.

I think the kennel thing is a good idea. I would get the biggest one you could find. And add a shelf and it only for a couple of day if its a tad to small wont hurt for a day or two or even a week. Storm travel kennel is a small dog life stages kennel. If I am going to have him or being staying at someone's house. The least room the better in my situation.

So i would go with the dog kennel. Personally.

Yeah, there are plenty of buns that live their lives in tiny cages. I'm sure yours will be fine for a few days.

Dog kennel + hardware cloth. Just zip tie it to the side. That's what Dora and Guinness are living in and it keeps kitty paws out and biting bunny noses separated (naughty Mocha!).

Latest posts

Back