Trancing Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephira

Reaction score
I read about trancing yesterday on the forum and decided to give it a try with Sasha. She is a nervous nellie and is not as ougoing as Mika. (As most of you know, they are still babies--almost 6 weeks--so I was skeptical.)

She took to it really easily--but afterward, she was so kind and sweet and loving!!!!:? I was really surprised that her personality seemed so different. Today, when I let them out to play, she came right to me and nuzzled me! That is quite different from how she normally is. She seems more inquisitive and calmer since being tranced.

Have any of you experienced this with your buns???

can you link that to me!!!!! caramel needs that, and eyore is shy.. it sounds good.

Trancing is related to the prey response. They freeze because they are petrified. She was probably loving after because she was so terrified during, and then you made it ok again.

It's not something I personally use with my buns, and I also don't think it's an ideal way to get a bun to be more loving. the potential to be loving is there for her, so maybe try to encourage it out in other ways.

The prey response and the calming effect seen in trancing are two completely different responses of the nervous system.

Prey response is the result of the sympathetic nervous system putting the body on alert. It increases heart rate and breathing, increases glucose and diverts the blood supply to critical organs and to skeletal and cardiac muscle. This response also inhibits digestion and decreases blood flow to the skin and increases the breakdown of proteins and carbs in tissues.This prolonged state of stress can lead to shock and death.

Conversely, trancing (can be used as a form of biofeedback) is controlled by the parasympathetic nervous system and has a calming effect on body functions, lowering heart rate and breathing. It also promotes digestion, waste elimination and promotesoverall homeostasis.

A properly tranced rabbit is not being terrified into submission. ;)

Pam

Can you please explain how to do the different types? I've only ever heard of terrified, and can't recall the other type being mentioned on here whilst I have been around, so would be interested to know.

I've never heard of "terrified" trancing, so I'm not familiar with what you are referring to. I'm referring to the type of trancing that people generally do with their rabbits by gently placing them on their backs.

A terrified rabbit, grabbedby the scruff of its neck and forced on its back will exhibit a sympathetic nervous system response and may be at risk for shock/death. Generally, most people are not attempting to pacify a rabbit in such a state of terror. They are attempting to put their pet rabbit in a hypnotic state of relaxation that is very different from a rabbit going into stress shock as they do in the prey (fight/flight) response. Trancing does not induce this type of reaction.

Pam

its like, go all floopy, relax, sleeping like state. no tense muscles.
then terrifed, tense, freeze, struggle, white eyes

pamnock wrote:
Conversely, trancing (can be used as a form of biofeedback) is controlled by the parasympathetic nervous system and has a calming effect on body functions, lowering heart rate and breathing. It also promotes digestion, waste elimination and promotes overall homeostasis. 

I know that trancing isn't all that well understood. This sounds more logical to me than the prey response, the rabbits just don't seem all that traumatized.

But my friend/neighbour suggested another very logical sounding hypothesis: putting a bunny on its back triggers a vestibular or balance response, something related to the head tilt reflex.

Any thoughts on that?

sas :upsidedown:

I've seen rabbits recline on their backs on their own, so there doesn't seem to be any corelation of the vestibularcochlear nerve triggering a panic response when the rabbit is relaxed and in a supine position.

Pam

I'm not referring to a panic response... :?

I suffer from Positional Vertigo, I can be sent into a head spin by leaning over backwards. In my case it means vertigo, nausea, etc.. Couldn't something similar mean a 'trance' for rabbits?

It does seem positional...

Just a thought!

I doubt it because rabbits will recline in a supine position on their own. It doesn't cause a sympathetic response, shock or death. ;)

Pam

irishlops wrote:

These responses are more likely related to handler inexperience causing the rabbit to feel insecure. I handle thousands of rabbits, and many times this requires rabbits to be on their backs for exams, shearing, showmanship, nail clipping, tattooing and first aid treatment. In a normal, healthy rabbit, reclining on the back does not cause the rabbit to go into shock and die. The prey response is different and can cause death from shock.

The only risk of trancing a rabbit is it kicking out or twisting and breaking its back.

Pam

Pipp wrote:
I'm not referring to a panic response... :?

Flashy was referring to trancing causing a "prey" response which is a panic response controlled by the sympathetic nervous system.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
irishlops wrote:

These responses are more likely related to handler inexperience causing the rabbit to feel insecure. I handle thousands of rabbits, and many times this requires rabbits to be on their backs for exams, shearing, showmanship, nail clipping, tattooing and first aid treatment. In a normal, healthy rabbit, reclining on the back does not cause the rabbit to go into shock and die. The prey response is different and can cause death from shock.

The only risk of trancing a rabbit is it kicking out or twisting and breaking its back.

Pam
i ment the differences up there.
i think they can go in to shock... but some will trance...

I would like to think that the trancing did more good than harm, you know? I appreciate everyone's feedback here! Thank you!!

Update: She's still sweet and loving--it's really weird!!!

irishlops wrote:
pamnock wrote:
irishlops wrote:
i ment the differences up there.
i think they can go in to shock... but some will trance...

An insecure rabbit is likely to struggle. I recommend handling them more securely. Trancing in itself does not pose health risks and is not a state of shock. A terrified rabbit can go into tonic immobility and can also go into shock. This is generally attributed to inexperienced handlers or very wild rabbits.

Pam

Back